transit connect- brake lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I have a ford transit connect 04. Today realised that all three brake lights werent working. When I checked I found that the upper light bulb had blown. Changed it and tested and found that the lower two brake lights were still not working. All other lights work, indicators, hazard, main lights etc.

Checked the fuse diagram and looks like there is one fuse for brake lights, changed that and still no luck. Is there a separate fuse for the lower brake lights or is it something else??

many thanks,

Sponsored Links
hi
thanks for the reply. i havent checked it, but if that was the problem wouldnt the top light not work either??

Sponsored Links
transit connect.jpg

Set it to measure DC volts (20v range if it's that type) and put the black probe on C in the pic and the red probe on A or B while an assistant presses the brake down, one is sidelights, the other is brake. Not sure which way round they are TBH. Do you get any readings?

WARNING:- Don't let either probe make a short circuit from C to A or B! A and B are down a recess and it's very easy to accidentally touch C with the same multimeter probe. Put some electrical tape roung that probe so it's only bare at the very tip to be sure.

Gaz

Yeah, that's the bulb holder. Note, you can just use A1 or B1 that I've added to this pic BTW.

transit connect.jpg

Having replaced the fuse, how do you know it did not blow again? Maybe you have a crimped wire that shorts to earth (blowing the fuse) whenever you push the break pedal

Nozzl

Thanks Gaz, Ill try that in the morning. So i guess if I have power the problem is with the bulb (although it looks ok) and if there is no power then its either the wiring or further back.

Nozzle, if the fuse blew would the top brake light still work? As I was wondering if the lower lights ran on a separate fuse?

Reymanners, the high level light would not work if it was on the same circuit - but I don't know if all three are on the same fuse? It would make sense to have it that way.
Nozzle

Thanks guys,

As the top bulb blew, I was hoping that it could be the reason why the lower ones werent working. Hoping it blew a separate fuse for the lower lights. But looking at the fuse chart it looks like there is only one fuse for brake lights, as far as I can tell.

My expertise is in boilers and not cars so was just trying to see if it was an easy fix, otherwise I'll be off to the mechanic. But after just shelling out for a new clutch, was hoping to avoid that visit so soon.

Sponsored Links
Back