Transit van thieves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, don't know if anybody has heard about this but a guy near me has had his tools stolen out of his van!!!! he locked it overnight and next morning went out and although the doors are shut it was unlocked with items missing... after reporting it he was telling me that thieves are using a tool but cannot remember the name where the thieves put it in the barrel of the lock and turn different nibs on it until it opens all the doors but cannot start the ignition and this is the latest thief technique doing the rounds... apparently these tools are readily available on ebay/amazon so just a warning although he has a newish transit it is still not safe..take you tools off during the night, not sure if the tool can open other vehicles though

Sponsored Links
That device has been around for a few years now. With many vans in my town getting stuff stolen from them between 2015-2016.

The other one is the jammer, someone sits close to your van with a jamming device when you press your clicker to lock van it doesn't actually lock it. As I drive a van I was advised to stand next to it when locking and always make sure you see it lock.

If you place your trust in & rely on standard vehicle security, then you almost deserve to have your gear nicked.

Have to agree. Invest in a van vault and bolt it to the floor. Any valuable/electrical tools should be locked in it at all times and only low value tools left outside the vault. You can't stop them stealing, just slow them down or make it more difficult so they move onto someone else.

Transits, especially Connects, are vulnerable to having the wiring cut through in the gaps around the doors. Once cut, the central locking unlocks the door. I'm assuming that Ford has now changed the design.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My works van ('65 Transit Custom) has had the side and rear door handles disconnected and security locks added. To get into the back you unlock with the remote then open the door using the key. It's great until you accidentely lock your keys in the back.

They only show the Mk1 diesel. The petrol version had a different front end. Hmmm....they days when you could buy a petrol van.....
I prefered the Bedford CF.

Some years ago, a friend who's a builder had an ex-bomb squad Sherpa with Rover V8 engine instead of the usual lump. Very quick straight line, but he used to keep a few bags of sand in the back in the vain hope of taming the wayward rear end. Sherpas were crap compared to Ford/Bedford, but this one sounded great.

Glad I don't live in a crappy town or city with no where safe to park at night. The thought of taking all the tools out off the back after a days work on site doesn't exactly thrill me.
Then everything hauled back to the van the next morning..pfft
Its enough going through that palava on site.

Last edited:
Glad I don't live in a crappy town or city with no where safe to park at night. The thought of taking all the tools out off the back after a days work on site doesn't exactly thrill me.
Then everything hauled back to the van the next morning..pfft
Its enough going through that palava on site.

Roger, where is this crime free utopia you live, we can all move there... crime used to be confined to the big cities/towns but now it has moved to every nook and cranny of the uk............. except some very remote islands just off the shetlands....

True. Its not where I live. I was burgeled.
However my transporter and tools are locked in a building every night. I could lock the road gate but don't bother.
The advantage being I'm not on the road side advertising.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back