Treating new doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

I am thinking about buying some oak veneered doors to use as sliding doors in cupboards and wardrobes in a barn conversion. Wickes have some in a "Geneva" range which are the style I'm looking for and which seen good value. However, they say that the doors are NOT suitable for an oil or wax finish. Customer service can only say that this is because "the timber needs to breathe"!!

This seems total rubbish to me but I would be grateful for any advice, experiences etc. My intention is to apply a good quality stain and then Liberon Danish oil.

Many thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

I have now had a sensible and comprehensive reply from a senior staff member at Wickes. It seems that their main concern is moisture: they want the doors well sealed - they even specify solvent based paint or varnish and do not recommend water based products.......hmmmmm.

Thanks for all the interest; I will leave the post on as it might help others.

Sponsored Links
I can only think it's the opposite of what their customer service person said.

Oils and waxes are quite vapour permeable compared to varnish/paint/high build stains, so don't seal the door as well.

But then I am of the opinion that a well made internal door, especially an engineered one shouldn't need to be sealed unless it's to a wet room.

Thanks for that Aron,

Quite right, I agree entirely and will go with my own experience and instincts.....funny people though and it makes you wonder just what their doors are actually made of.

All the best, Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back