Treating / Painting external render below DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In common with many neighbours I've experienced flaking of bricks below the DPC.

I now have a cement/sand render over the bricks up to the DPC and would appreciate any advice on how to treat the render.

I would prefer to use paint although I appreciate this will need re-painting every few years.
If an alternative is likely to be a much better option I would certainly consider it.

Any guidance on what to use and any pre-treatment prior to painting.

Sponsored Links
I hadn't thought of Bitumen and at first it didn't appeal too much.

I did a bit of searching and there is more choice than I assumed.
Technoseal Rubber Based Paint seems to be a bitumised coating and is available in white as well as black so may be the way to go.
I can only assume it will last as long as paint, possibly longer, and can be re-applied when needed.

The other option I considered was a Water Repellent which I think should allow the render to breathe but means I'd be stuck with the existing render colour/finish.

Many thanks for replying.

Personally I like to let the below dpc render breath, perhaps treat bare render with silicone solution.
Or. If you want to paint it. use a masonry paint which is microporous.(sandtex smooth is good) Thin first coat then a more round (thicker) coat to finish off.
This wont crack and flake ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks jondecs.

I had thought of a microporous paint and Sandtex looks like the favourite but I suspect a water repellent is likely to be more effective in allowing the render to breathe.

I've been reading up on Microshield.

It's a microporous product ie water repellent which is intended to allow the render to breathe whilst shedding water.

I'd have to give up on the idea of painting which I could probably live with.

Has anyone any experience of it or can recommend an alternative.
There don't seem to be that many water repellents as distinct from sealants around.

I believe products containing silicones tend to be sealants ie don't breathe well, if at all, wheras water repellents normally contain silanes and/or siloxanes, and do.

Any advice appreciated.

I just used to use a product called 'Grangers' silicone sealant. This seemed to dissapear when Thompsons water seal hit the shelves with a massive promotion. Instructions say's its breathable. Though I usually find old bare render does'nt need any treatment, unless it's obviously crumbling etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back