Tree problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a blossom tree in my front garden and for the past two to three years it's not blossomed nearly as much as it used to do.

I've just noticed one of the branches looking a little limp and gave it a gentle pull and it came away very easily.
It looks all dry inside, almost like sawdust.

Any idea what could be wrong with it?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Sponsored Links
It doesn’t look very well to me, have you noticed small fungi growing either around the base or a little way up the trunk around September time?

To be honest Richard, no I haven't.

I probably need to get somebody to take a look at it before it goes much further.

I was thinking Honey Fungus; I’ve lost a large mature Willow, an immature Ash & a mature Crab apple tree in the last 2 years; then last September, I noticed the very large Ash in my front garden is also infected so that’s probably done for as well; bloody thing is around 40ft high as well! It’s very quick to kill & all mine were gone within 3 years of first noticing the “mushrooms” around September time; it spreads through air spores, roots & physical contamination so I think it was EDF who actually spread it during their bi-annual branch prooning around overhead power lines.

I was told by a tree surgeon who diagnosed my problem that you shouldn't let sucker branches grow like that so maybe the tree is just rejecting that branch but if you value the tree, may pay to get someone who knows what they are doing to have a look at it.

One of the reasons I bought my property was that once beutifull 40 year old Willow & now it's gone & I can't replace it in what's left of my lifetime :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Richard.
I know where you're coming from. It takes time for a tree to become established and it pains me to see neighbors cut down such such trees.
A couple a few doors away have a large side garden which used to be home to a willow tree. Not anymore though :(

I will be getting somebody to look at mine and hope it's not too late.

you need to dig out the soil around it and look at replacing with a variety not affected by it.

Yours is very similar to mind though seems to be more advanced.
I really need to talk to somebody who knows their onions as what I don't want to do is fork out a load of money to somebody who doesn't know what they're doing and the tree dies anyway.

you need to dig out the soil around it and look at replacing with a variety not affected by it.
Fir trees, apparently, are not susceptible; we have several but they can be a bit boring as far as trees go! My infection started around 4 years ago & has spread, one way or another, over both mine & my neighbours garden affecting many trees that have stood & blossomed there for 60 odd years :cry:

As far as spotting it, those mushrooms over a couple of weeks in autumn are a dead give away, if you Google you can get a picky of exactly what they look like so you will know for sure but if your already infected, I wouldn’t hold out much hope; it’s slowly destroying all the trees we have, apart from those boring firs. :cry:

Theres a product called Armillatox that used to be sold to treat Honey Fungus. Due to new laws on the use of chemicals etc it can no longer be sold for that purpose.

It is however still available but sold as a patio cleaner. There website has some useful info on Honey Fungus...

http://www.armillatox.com/

Obviously Im not using it to treat my Honey Fungus problem, because that would be wrong!

I really need to talk to somebody who knows their onions as what I don't want to do is fork out a load of money to somebody who doesn't know what they're doing and the tree dies anyway.

A good tree surgeon will give free advice, if you don't know one call up three and compare their advice. (don't have them all turn up at the same time though as they will likely be from rival companies)

little you can do to save it if honey fungus has got hold. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back