Tree stump Removal

Sponsored Links
youv'e done most of the graft, chainsaw will see to the rest .

keep digging around the roots and remove them one by one. only trouble with a chainsaw is you are likely to blunt the blade as it hits the earth, but still worth sacrificing a chain for!

Sponsored Links
great idea coljack :p ........make sure your neighbours dont have their washing hanging out though :D .

take the fence panels out, dig out as much dirt as you can, then build a fire round it and let it burn...

I actually had a neighbour do this to a foot thick stump a few years ago. Every night for a week he piled a shovel of charcoal round it and let it smoulder away for a couple of hours. Did the trick though!

it will take bloody ages, especially if its recently cut down as it will contain a lot of moisture. Looking at the pictures youre not far off

drill a series of 25mm holes down into the trunk and fill with ANFO?
that's how my cousins husband gets them out on his farm....

It's not safe to use a chainsaw to remove that, especially if you're an inexperienced operator.

Drilling holes and encouraging it to rot may take a lot longer than you're prepared to wait.

You could hire a stump grinder. Using a grinder on what's shown in the picture might not be too easy but at least it does much of the work for you.

I usually use a mattock, and something else to chop the roots on the underside where I can't get room to swing the mattock. The 'something else' in my case is an old spade head and a sledgehammer, but you can get tools like enormous chisels which should do the job. (I can't find an example, but they are something like this but more substantial.) As you chop through the roots, lever the stump upwards/sideways to expose more roots. It's hard work.

chain round it to the car tow hook?
see which gives in first.. the tree, the chain or the car... ;)

i used an engine hoist on mine - erected it over the stump, put the chains through and started pulling the chains through, came out like butter through a hot knife.....

Bit late now, but one trick is......Dont cut the tree down in the first place! Trim it to leave yourself about 6 feet of tree trunk, and you've got a nice long lever to heave on once you've chopped through the accessible roots.

A friend once did that, then put a chain round the top of the cut trunk and shackled it to his Land Rover. Using the crawler gear, he found it very easy to pull the complete rear crossmember off his Landie chassis.

Grubbing mattock, a lot of beer, and if the ground is stony, safety goggles.

Just aim to excavate all the way around it in a ring, straight down till your through the main roots.

The dig, hack, pull as necessary.

And as a cross between the car/chain and engine hoist method. If there is another, bigger tree around, get a ratchet strap and try and pull it out anchoring it to the bigger tree.

Sam.

I always use a hand winch, and saw the roots wen under tension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back