Trianco Eurostar 70/90 Oil Boiler not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, just wandering if you could point me in the right direction with a little problem I am having with my Trianco Eurostar 70 / 90 floor mounted oil boiler.

First let me say that I am not a plumber or heating engineer, just the homeowner who needs some advice.

I ran out of oil a few months ago (not the best I know - but it happens) and I used the time constructively to drain the heating system down and add a new radiator to the system and also replace a faulty radiator valve on an existing radiator at the same time.

Anyway, under pressure from the wife and kids, I took delivery of the oil yesterday and refilled the heating system up so that I could get the heating on this afternoon. However, this is where my problems began.

I bleed the system (I have done this before) and then switched the heating on via my programmer. The boiler fired unsuccessfully, then the red light came on, waiting for me to reset the burner. (Again this has happened to me before and I have managed to get the boiler going in the past).

After a couple of 'resets', the boiler started successfully and I started to dream of a nice warm evening. However after approximately 10 minutes, the boiler cut out and would come back on. I tried several times to switch the heating off at the programmer and then back on again, but nothing happened. I must point out that there is no red light at this stage, the boiler just seemed to switch off.

The strange thing is this. I switched it on via the programmer, late this afternoon and nothing happened. I thought I shall leave it for a while and see what happens. After about an hour not doing anything, the boiler suddenly fired up, ran for about 3 or 4 minutes and then stopped again. I left it for an another hour and nothing more happened So trying to encourage it to work I moved the control switch (sorry don't know what it is called - its located inside the boiler, its a dial and it goes from a zero, through 'low' to 'high'). Anyway it was set at about 5 o'clock and I moved it to its 'high' position and the boiler fired again, ran for about 3 or 4 mins and then cut out.

Sorry its such a long post, but I wanted to give you all as much information as possible. I know that it probably needs a service and that a qualified chap probably needs to come and take a look, but I was hoping to try and get it on myself, because we are all getting cold! Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Probably an airlock in the system. The boiler is getting up to temperature and cutting out on its thermostat. You may have a thermal reset limit stat which will take power from the burner until it cools down.

Your heating system is not properly filled with water and purged of air. You should check the CH pump turns as well. There is nothing wrong with your heating, it shuts down because it's overheating due to the aforementioned.

Your heating system is not properly filled with water and purged of air. You should check the CH pump turns as well. There is nothing wrong with your heating, it shuts down because it's overheating due to the aforementioned.

I have just doubled checked that all the rads dont have any air in them and they didnt. When the boiler fired the last time I put my hand on the pump and could feel movement inside, so I am reasonably confident that its working OK.

Are there any other methods I can use to get any air out of the system ?. I have to admit that when this first happened, I though that an air lock could play some part.

Sponsored Links
Water out of the rad bleed vents indicates the rads full. It doesn't mean pipework is free of air.

Water out of the rad bleed vents indicates the rads full. It doesn't mean pipework is free of air.

What can I do to purge any air from the pipework ? I have not come across this problem before and would appreciate any ideas you may have, cheers.

Turn system off. Check for air vents on pipes around boiler, cyl cupboard or high points. Manually open levers to any zone valves. Check header tank for water then try again.

Turn system off. Check for air vents on pipes around boiler, cyl cupboard or high points. Manually open levers to any zone valves. Check header tank for water then try again.

Thanks for the advice, I shall probably leave it until morning now, but I shall let you know how I get on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back