Trickle vents (Y/N)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're double glazing our entire house and wondering whether we need tricke vents in all the windows. We hadn't heard of these before. Our builder, who is building an extension for us, is putting in windows with them (you have to now?) in the extension but we need to decide on the rest of the house.

The rest of our house is solid breeze block built (old house) and we have mould/condensation issues on the north facing walls in the corners so we forever spray mould spray to combat it and have kilrock containers.

The double glazing salesmen says we don't need trickle vents, the builder is saying put them in all windows as the salesmen is just trying to save costs and I'm thinking perhaps we only need them in the 'mould problem' rooms.

Apologies for my rambling but I'm getting conflicting opinions on something I know nothing about and would really welcome any advice here.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Houses need ventilation.
Whether that is via vents in windows, doors, walls, floors or an installed air system is up to you.
Mouldy walls suggest inadequate ventilation.

Good points by Flameport there.
You can and should ventilate by opening your windows for a short time each day. Assuming modern windows they can even be locked open a little for ventilation.

Trickle vents are basically a big hole right through your new expensive windows. With a 1-2mm flap of plastic to stop drafts, Insects and noise (none of which they do well).
In my own property I personally would say no.

I would add them, as mentioned if you have mould in some rooms the first thing to presume would be inadequate ventilation assuming the gutters aren't leaking or roof leaking etc. And adding modern well fitted double glazing will only make the issue worse and whilst it may seem illogical to stick a hole in a window which is effectively what a trickle vent is unfortunately it's a fact that buildings require ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Definitely don't have them, it's basically destroying the A ratedness of the window!

Solid walls tend to get damp and cold, why don't you have them insulated?

Definitely don't have them, it's basically destroying the A ratedness of the window!

Got to disagree, and then agree with you Phat, You breath out half a pint of water a day, often dry you're clothes indoors, run the bath/tap etc, and all that moisture needs to be got rid off, so you either open the windows each day, or have the trickle vents installed, and it's far easier to have them installed, and then keep them shut if necessary. Adding EWI is something I'd recommend to anyone, as it warms up the house quickly, and reduces the heating bills, but even with it, you still need to get the moisture out of the house.

We cant have insulation put in the outside walls, its just solid brick. Not sure why they made houses like this in the old days, freezing in winter butyes that would be a lovely way forward I agree. I'm not bothered about the ratedness of the windows, is that just a resale problem? Seems trickle vents are the way forward. We now have the extension window put in which has to have one and it does not look too ugly. Thanks for your comments.

Trickle vents have insect screens to prevent bugs getting thru, unless the house has forced air ventilation [via fans] then you need them.

Hi, you don't put insulation IN that type of wall, you put in ON it! Inside or outside. We have had this done to our house, and come winter hopefully it will make a difference.

The"ratedness" of the window is all about how much of the outside temperature / air gets in. A rated being better than C rated. So when you buy a nice A rated, low cold / heat transfer window you want it to keep the warm in during winter. Then you make a big hole at the top to allow trickle vents, and so have a mostly uncontrolled path for the warm air to escape, or to displace warm air out via somewhere else.

I would certainly avoid them, a modern window will likely have a facility to leave them on 'night vent', so I would instead rely on this, as and when YOU want the ventilation!

Here's an extract from the Energy Savings Trust website

Ventilation
Replacement windows will be more airtight than your original frames, so condensation may build up in your house due to the reduced ventilation. If your house does not have much background ventilation, look for replacement windows with trickle vents incorporated into the frame to let in a controlled amount of ventilation.

If you start to see condensation building up around your windows, there may be a damp problem in your home. As a general rule, damp occurs when there is inadequate ventilation, inadequate heating, inadequate insulation or a combination of these. If you’ve started to notice condensation in between the panes of glass in your double-glazing units then it is likely that the seal is broken, and the unit will need to be replaced.

They won't , technically , be A rated anyway as they have never been tested with Trickle Vents in for an Energy Rating. As a part owner of a company that installs double glazing , I can not get my head round the incessant need to do you house up Airtight. All you are doing is encouraging black mold through lack of ventilation and airflow. I have seen many properties with cavity wall insulation and double glazing with black mould. Be very careful insulating walls that are solid ...as they need to breathe too, so you will notice that many houses with solid walls don't have internal wallpaper due to dampness.

As goes OP's question , the rules dictate that if you have a combustionable appliance ( gas cooker , rayburn , log burner , boiler etc ) , in a room then you must have at least trickle ventilation , be it a window trickle ventalator or an airbrick. Again the extension must have trickle vents in all windows, however the rest of the house is up to you...personally it would make no difference to me if I was buying a property if they had them or not

I can not get my head round the incessant need to do you house up Airtight
I completely agree, i think people simply lose sight of the bigger picture, speak to any BCO they will say exactly the same, the Building Regs are being pulled in two directions and never the twain shall they meet. There's an ethos that world wants us to save energy which is all well and good but its just a law of physics that buildings need ventilation and fitting superdupa A rated windows nice and snugly considerably reduces the ventilation of a building, a fact some can't seem to grasp.

Personally I just open my windows.
In the summer I always have a few windows left open even if only on the night vent.
In winter just occasionally, While and after showering, Cooking etc. I also always have my bedroom window a little as I like the fresh air.

If you live near a road trickle vents are going to let quite a bit of noise in.
The built-in insect screens are rubbish, They are always full of insects.
As virtually no company fits trickle vent sleeves cold air will get to the inside chambers of the windows making the whole thing colder.
They can whistle in the wind sometimes.

Just open your windows a little occasionally at least you can close and fully seal them when its very windy/noisy or super cold. A 2mm flap of plastic on a trickle vent wont block these things.

The only time I recommend trickle vents (other than when you have to have them) is for rented properties when I work for landlords but even then most of the time you find the tenants just block them up with tissue or something.

Personally I just open my windows.
In the summer I always have a few windows left open even if only on the night vent.
In winter just occasionally, While and after showering, Cooking etc. I also always have my bedroom window a little as I like the fresh air.

If you live near a road trickle vents are going to let quite a bit of noise in.
The built-in insect screens are rubbish, They are always full of insects.
As virtually no company fits trickle vent sleeves cold air will get to the inside chambers of the windows making the whole thing colder.
They can whistle in the wind sometimes.

Just open your windows a little occasionally at least you can close and fully seal them when its very windy/noisy or super cold. A 2mm flap of plastic on a trickle vent wont block these things.

The only time I recommend trickle vents (other than when you have to have them) is for rented properties when I work for landlords but even then most of the time you find the tenants just block them up with tissue or something.
Seems like a recipe for a damp mouldy property.

Why is what Gazman said a recipe for a damp mouldy property? He is providing an air flow and ventilation...two of the best things to avoid mouldy walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back