Trimming conifer trees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help me please, I am a gardening virgin and need to trim my conifer trees back to keep my neighbour happy and i dont want them to end up 40 ft tall, they are 9-10ft tall just now, Where do I start.....Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean I can cut them down to the size I want then start trimming the sides, starting from the top. Thanks for advice.

pinch out the top central shoot to stop it increasing in height.

clip it all over with a hedge trimmers to get a good shape to it. dont go too far back, once you get past the green it wont come back and youll end up with brown patches.

wear gloves and a long sleeve top as they can give a nasty rash

Sponsored Links
if you cut them to about 6 foot, once or twice every year, then you will be able to do it with a stepladder. You will also have to trim the branches every year to stop them getting too fat.

the ideal height to trim Leylandii is 1 foot below ground level.

If you cut the sides back to the dead wood it will not grow back

When you say the ideal height to trim them is 1ft below ground level I take it you mean de root them completely get rid. Sorry for ignorance this is the first time I have ever had to garden, if that is what you mean I dont want to do that I really like them the birds nest there and im into environmental issues it would be a shame to get rid of them I just want to tidy them up a bit so I can put a fence up.

You can safely trim about 1-2 feet from the top about every two years,
the sides , when new growth is seen cut back just beyond new growth and any dead brown areas these will fill in with new growth during the summer. large branches can be cut by using--- hand saw-small chain saw---or branch trimmer.
Make a clean cut no broken off branches as they take forever to come back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back