Trimming height/width of glazed timber door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The door (see link below) measures, width 91 cm by height 212 cm.
http://tinyurl.com/q5z5hgq

It needs to fit a door frame measuring, width 86.4 cm by 207 cm height.

To achieve this the door would need 2.3 cm removed from *each* side, plus it would also require a total of 5 cm removed from the height (perhaps from the bottom, or combination of top/bottom trim).

Was wondering if anyone knowledgeable about joinery would have any comments on this, such as, will the door still be structurally sound after this? Or since the rail on each side of the glazing would have to be trimmed by 2.3 cm on each side,how wide should such a rail remain to ensure adequate stability?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I have never had to trim a glazed door down to such a width so I can't speak from experience but you will certainly weaken it. If it's for you and not a customer I would say go for it, otherwise the door is redundant, but the life expectancy will probably lowered. There's a reason the bottom rail is so thick, to support the weight.
I would take 25mm off each side (2mm for clearance). About 15mm off the top and cut the rest off the bottom. Cutting a whole 50mm off the bottom just seems too much. I would also add a fourth hinge to support the weight. Sorry I can't give you a black and white answer.
Good luck

I have never had to trim a glazed door down to such a width so I can't speak from experience but you will certainly weaken it. If it's for you and not a customer I would say go for it, otherwise the door is redundant, but the life expectancy will probably lowered. There's a reason the bottom rail is so thick, to support the weight.
I would take 25mm off each side (2mm for clearance). About 15mm off the top and cut the rest off the bottom. Cutting a whole 50mm off the bottom just seems too much. I would also add a fourth hinge to support the weight. Sorry I can't give you a black and white answer.
Good luck

It's for myself.

If using the measurements you suggested, what would you think of taking 25mm off the top (+25mm from bottom) in order that the rails surrounding the glazing have been reduced by an equal amount.

Look like an old well made door so should be ok, I would not take more than 10mm of the top. You need to paint it as soon as it's cut to prevent it swelling in the wet.

Sponsored Links
I did originally type that because it would look better, but deleted it. It just seems like a lot to cut off, especially when you can afford to take more off the bottom rail due to it's thickness. Your other option would be to buy and install a smaller frame, or take the old one out and adjust it to make it smaller. Then close the gap up with blocks and cement. Either way you're going to face a bit of work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back