Triple glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We live on a main road and get quite a bit of traffic noise. At the moment we have timber windows with double glazing.

In my wisdom I was wondering if triple glazed units would make much difference and if so what sort of thickness they would be. As I would in theory like to swap them over with the double glazed ones.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Secondary glazing will be the most effective and have a greater sound barrier than triple glazing, my secondary glazing was approximately 100mm away from the double glazing units and what a difference by testing it with a engine lawnmower just outside! I did because of shiftwork. Goggle secondary glazing noise reduction for more details

Hi All,

We live on a main road and get quite a bit of traffic noise. At the moment we have timber windows with double glazing.

In my wisdom I was wondering if triple glazed units would make much difference and if so what sort of thickness they would be. As I would in theory like to swap them over with the double glazed ones.

Thanks

Its not that simple unfortunately - i supply triple glazing and sometimes double glazing to social housing projects.
in simple terms our standard triple glazing for example gives a 35 decibel reduction in sound - so if there was a noise at 35db outside you would not hear it (not quite this simple but you get the picture)
double glazing using thicker glass and a bigger space between gives 40db.
we have a top spec giving 44db using double glazed plus a seperate secondary glaze.

if you use standard double glazing you would be around 29db reduction.
all this doesn't sound much but it is suprisingly noticable

hope that helps

Sponsored Links
As Masona syas, secondary is much better with a nice 4" gap otherwise it's triple with 4mm tough, 4mm float and 6.4 lam. The three different densities and sizes of glass help with the noise but still not as good as secondary.

My front bedroom is triple and front bay from these guys down the road from me www.eewindows.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back