Triton Ivory || - no water flow

Sponsored Links
As I was about to fit two new micro switches today I thought I would give it a once more check over. Therefore checked all the connections which appeared to be ok, I then proceeded to double check the connections in the pull cord fuse box where I notiticed that the blue wire was all burnt and blackend and rather slack. At this point I stopped to feedback. It's worth noting that the shower has been working A1 for past 4 years, although the pull cord fuse box neon is always on, regardless whether it is set to on or off. I've noticed that the cable used is heavy duty 3 core (Blue, Brown, Earth) each wire connects to the corresponding colour in the shower unit. Any ideas before progressing further?
Thanks

I then proceeded to double check the connections in the pull cord fuse box where I notiticed that the blue wire was all burnt and blackend and rather slack.
which i thought was checked when i first mentioned it.
(thats a bad connection on the mains cable either in the shower unit or more likely the pullcord.)

It's worth noting that the shower has been working A1 for past 4 years, although the pull cord fuse box neon is always on, regardless whether it is set to on or off.
wired the wrong way round.

I've noticed that the cable used is heavy duty 3 core (Blue, Brown, Earth) each wire connects to the corresponding colour in the shower unit. Any ideas before progressing further?
Thanks

any ideas on what ? ;)

I then proceeded to double check the connections in the pull cord fuse box where I notiticed that the blue wire was all burnt and blackend and rather slack.
which i thought was checked when i first mentioned it.
(thats a bad connection on the mains cable either in the shower unit or more likely the pullcord.)

It's worth noting that the shower has been working A1 for past 4 years, although the pull cord fuse box neon is always on, regardless whether it is set to on or off.
wired the wrong way round.

I've noticed that the cable used is heavy duty 3 core (Blue, Brown, Earth) each wire connects to the corresponding colour in the shower unit. Any ideas before progressing further?
Thanks

any ideas on what ? ;)

it was checked, nevertheless the blue wire was cirtainly blackened when I returned, more so a poor slack connection. That said this may indeed be an issue as a consequence of me disconnecting the Pullcord box first time around.

I'm afraid that the shower was fitted before we purchased the house. The cable is 10mm flat broad 3 core cable. I've verified the connection in the main fuse box as well as checking RCD size which is 45. This cable routes to the pullcord/fuse box, wires connect to corresponding wire colours. Identical cable has been used to route from the pullcord to the shower unit and again connects to the corresponding wire colours Blue, Brown and then a secure earth connection. I'm confused how it has worked over past years if they have wired it incorrectly.

Thanks
Would it be any help if I was to upload photos of the wiring and shower unit?

Sponsored Links
if the neon is on all the time then they have wired the pullcord back to front.
the neon should light when pull cord is pulled on.
so your supply cable is on the load side (shower)
and your shower is on the supply side. supply in load out.

trouble with thick cable it's a b*gger to move about in connection boxes etc and common for loose connections/burnt wires as these showers draw some much power.

you can put pics on. ;)

The saga continues....

Ok I've double checked that the wire is routed correctly which it is. The cable from the main fusebox (ring) is routed into the Feed connections, cable routing to the shower is in the Load connections. Is it not that the red neon which is lit all of the time simply indicates that there is a connection with the main ring, howere only becomes active and transfers power once the pull cord is pulled and changes the on off indicator.

In relation to the shower, I have discovered that when turning the power setting knob, there is no clunking sound between turns all but the initial turn from and to the nuteral position....

Is it not that the red neon which is lit all of the time simply indicates that there is a connection with the main ring,
nope the light is to tell you that the circuit to the shower is on.
neon is on the load side.

DSCF1885.jpg

In relation to the shower, I have discovered that when turning the power setting knob, there is no clunking sound between turns all but the initial turn from and to the nuteral position....
somethings wrong in that switching assembly as said earlier.

it's hard to explain with out the shower in front of me

have you got any pics ?

Ok I agree with that, however why would you have a red neon light as well as a On Off indicator?

Apologise for poor quality photos, if you require close ups of various areas please just ask.

ShowerUnit.jpg

Pullcord2.jpg

The feed connection is on the right and the load connection routing to the shower is on the left.

External.jpg

Notice the Red neon as well as the On Off indicator.

start with the pullcord thats right the feed from consumer on the right
shower load on left with neon on the load side.

and yes some do have both neon, indicator.

and them connections from the comsumer look knackered.

another thing i've just noticed is that neutral on the solenoid valve.
looks green and a bad connection.
clean it up get a good connection then tell me if the light
still go's out and solenoid don't open. ;)

The neon is wired into the feed side and not the load.

I'm now off to clean all the connections, wish me luck it would be nice if it were a simple problem!

Now I've compleated the cleaning of all of the connections, I've discovered a 3rd micro switch. This one is brown at the rear of the power setting knob. So now we have a power setting knob with 2 grey micro switches and then behind them a brown one. How can I test the function of each one of them without powering up?

I forgot to mention that the shower actually stopped working mid flow whilst I was showering. I was actually adjusting the shower head to alter waterflow and found that it just stopped.

your consufusing me now anything else you forgot. :rolleyes:

1 m/switch is activated when you turn the dial that sends power to the solenoid valve.

the solenoid opens the pressure switch rises the other 2 m/switches do the 2 elements.

you say it stopped mid shower no water flow.
did the neon light on shower panel go out as well ?

a shower that stops mid flow is useally a fault on the soleniod coil.
but that don't loose the neon light.

the only way you loose the neon light is a fault on the neutral from the solenoid valve
or a fault on the live to the shower etc.

i think we need to run through and test each part again from scratch. ;)

as you say your loosing the neon on the cover
the m/switches, solenoid coil, heating elements have no part in the
working of the neon.

I'm very sorry, I realise I'm providing scattered information, unfortunately I'm using my mobile to post!

Ok a brief run through and what I have done!

Mid-shower stopped whilst adjusting shower head, neon went out.

Returned knob to neutral to retry - neon ON, turned knob to activate neon OFF - no waterflow.

Checked and cleaned all connections (the 'greening' was infact some form of glue carefully put there by Triton)

Replaced Solenoied and replaced the brown M/S.

Inspected pullcord, connection appeared inorder, reinspected and discovered Neutral wire blackend and slack. I suspect that this was a consequence of movement during prior inspection.

I am a network engineer working off shore, my god I thought my role was difficult, I take my hat off to you, I would never have though this would have been so complicated.

I'm using my mobile to post!
s*d that.

Mid-shower stopped whilst adjusting shower head, neon went out.
ok
Returned knob to neutral to retry - neon ON, turned knob to activate neon OFF - no waterflow.
ok
Checked and cleaned all connections (the 'greening' was infact some form of glue carefully put there by Triton)
first i've seen it. looked more like water had been in contact with the terminal.
Replaced Solenoied and replaced the brown M/S.
have you what before you came on here ?
Inspected pullcord, connection appeared inorder, reinspected and discovered Neutral wire blackend and slack. I suspect that this was a consequence of movement during prior inspection.
what about the brown don't look healthy either.
I am a network engineer working off shore, my god I thought my role was difficult, I take my hat off to you, I would never have though this would have been so complicated.

dame site easier if it was sitting in front of me.
as you know you never get all the facts.

i don't know if you have a manual for this shower but i will show you a layout of the wiring diagram and you'll see how a neon should stay lit
even if the shower has failed in some way.
thats why i think this fault only lies in one area.

is the shower still doing the same thing now after cleaning the terminals etc ?
no water and neon going out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back