Triton millenium shower causing nuisance power tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not very clued up with electrical problems but will do my best to describe fault am experiencing. When pulling the power cord to turn on electricity for shower system, the switch for the downstairs sockets {RCD I think} housed in the main fuse box keeps tripping.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
A fault on the shower circuit is tripping the RCD. The RCD probably covers the shower circuit, the downstairs circuit and maybe some other circuits.

This is often caused by a worn out heating element in the shower and can also be caused by water getting in to the electrics inside, or a damaged cable. Usually a worn out element though.

Have you tried turning on the shower at the pull switch, but leaving it turned off on the shower itself?

Thanks very much for the advice sparky. By the sounds of things I think it best I call in a professional to take a look. Would you have any idea of cost etc ?

thanks again

can we take it that this is not a house you just moved into, a new shower and is only a recent occurence?

Sponsored Links
You had better call a local sparky and ask. A one-hour call-out should at least identify the problem if not fix it.

As a comparison, and by coincidence, I was called out this afternoon by someone with the same symptoms. It turned out that the cables in the pull switch were loose in the terminals. 10mm shower cables are a quite tight fit in back boxes and with a bit of twisting and pushing the terminals probably worked loose during installation. So a simple fix, a one-hour call-out and no new shower needed! Whilst I was there I did an insulation test on the cable and an RCD and loop test to check the wiring was ok, which it was.

Best of luck with yours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back