Trolley Jacks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a new trolley jack from Halfords, this one in fact, it's a heavy thing but nice and solid. However, all the jacks I've had or used before have allowed quite sensitive and slow lowering of whatever has been on them, handy for letting axle stands slowly take the strain if you see what I mean. This one is very clumsy though, it just suddenly drops as you slowly unscrew the handle. Should I just put up with this, or is it a dodgy one? Or perhaps can the drop speed be adjusted?

Sponsored Links
If you lower the jack by using the handle and turning that, the drop speed is usually set by just turning the handle a tiny amount......some jacks have a vent on the top and by closing that, reduces the fall rate too.
John :)

I know what you mean about Halfords, but I've always found their pro range pretty good, and I've had one of their smaller jacks for about 25 years and it's been great.

Sponsored Links
If you lower the jack by using the handle and turning that, the drop speed is usually set by just turning the handle a tiny amount......

Exactly! This one seem to stick for a while and then suddenly give. Not very impressive, I think it'll have to go back if I can't sort it.

Just give it a few tries......under load, of course. The valves on these things are usually just ball bearings and may stick or have some crap stuck in that area.
Maybe try one in the shop if you exchange it?
John :)

I have a couple of cheap jacks that I bought some years ago, about £25 I think, they suffer from the same problem, you have to lower it very slowly and carefully. I still have the Bradbury Jack I bought in about 1965 and that works a treat except its to heavy to carry anywhere and it cost me £27.50, over a weeks wages in those days.

Peter

Last edited:
To be fair this jack has behaved a lot better today and given me much more control. I'm hoping it's just getting run in! I'll give it a chance, it will be quite a nuisance to return it. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Back