Trouble removing bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wanting to remove my taps temporarily so I can access the wall behind them to allow for re-grouting, as you can see from the image below there is not enough space to properly remove and reapply the grout:

Your How to Guide provides good avice on the Removal of old taps so I removed thethe bath side panel to gain better access to the tap:

The cold water tap had two nuts, one connecting the two copper pipes and another which looked like it was keeping the tap in place:

After unscrewing both I assumed the tap would become loose even with the hot water pipe still connected:

Despite this the tap was still rock solid and if you look closely there appears to be sealant on the tap itself that appears to be gluing the taps to the bath:

With this new discovery is there still any chance of being able to remove my taps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The taps are likely to be stuck down with silicone and they will lever free.
However, unless the supply pies are isolated and disconnected, you still won't gain much space to work.
John :)

Looking at the colour of that, I would guess that they may have used something like grabfill adhesive, rather than a sealant. Unless they had avocado green silicone lying around. That may be a bit harder to prise off an acrylic bath. bit of wood and a large screwdriver/prybar but be careful as you could rip the top of the acrylic off if it is adhesive.

The other thing you say is:-
the cold water tap had two nuts, one connecting the two copper pipes and another which looked like it was keeping the tap in place. After unscrewing both:

I take it you have also undone the hot water side of the tap?

I take it you have also undone the hot water side of the tap?
Not yet, as soon as I saw that adhesive I assumed it had become a lost cause but knowing it just needs a lot more force I can go ahead and unscrew the hot water tap and get out the prybar.

When it comes to putting the taps back would I need to reapply the same adhesive or is that unnecessary?

Sponsored Links
Rob is absolutely right - if it is adhesive go very carefully! (Perils of a small screen here)!
If you do get the taps off, by all means use some silicone to keep things water tight down there......its also a fair idea to replace those plastic
back nuts with brass ones.
John :)

When you say re-grouting, I assume you mean between the wall tiles and not the gap around the bath? Grout should not be applied around the bath as it will crack and leak. A good sealant is best (Dow Corning).

When you say re-grouting, I assume you mean between the wall tiles and not the gap around the bath? Grout should not be applied around the bath as it will crack and leak. A good sealant is best (Dow Corning).
Sorry, looks like I used the term re-grouting wrongly and I actually mean re-sealing. I am removing the taps to gain better access to the gap around the bath so the sealant can be removed and then reapplied with UniBond Anti Mould Sealant. Thanks for pointing this out.

As mentioned though ...... softly softly catchy monkey :)

If you hear cracking, it's not a good sign and it's time to decide whether to proceed or not!

Just an update to say I managed to remove the taps, turns out the adhesive was very old and just crumbled away after applying a little extra force with a prybar.

I ended up replacing the taps since they looked like they were getting old and it's design didn't allow the water behind it to easily drain or give fingers much room to manoeuvre when turning them.

Thanks again for your advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back