TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting TRV's to the rads, is it best to fit a new olive and coupling when fitting them or use the existing one?

If it is best to fit new, what is the best way of removing the old

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not a professional but here's my experience:

When I fitted my TRVs I used the new olives that came with the TRV packs. If you're taking off the old ones becareful, they can be held on to the existing pipe quite tightly, so careful not to bend or mis-shape the ends of the pipes.

If the old olives wont come off, use PTFE tape or there's something call Boss White.

I'm sure a professional will be along to help in a mo...

Sponsored Links
Any half-inch BSP nut will usually fit the valve inlet. Trick is to be relaxed about it! If the reason you want to use the old nut + olive is water running out of the pipe -you got it wrong!

Give yourself time (by draining-off properly, etc.) to be able to take a good look at the state of the pipe, nut and olive. Pipe reasonably clean and round? Olive NOT been over-tightened already (it should look more-or-less like a new one)? Nut in good condition, so it won't look ****e for ever after? Enough pipe sticking out the olive to properly engage with the valve body? Pipe actually right length and in the right position?

If yes to all these, there's no reason to take the olive and nut off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back