trying to decide about front door

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated.

Sorry to labour it, but softwood doesn't sound too secure..

Sponsored Links
it's what most doors are made of.

how thick is it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated.

Sorry to labour it, but softwood doesn't sound too secure..
If it's Redwood, it's a very popular useful timber which is known for their high strength, also resistance to delay and insects with their low rate shrinkage which is ideal for doors, don't let the word softwood put you off because it's stronger than you think, trust me it's better than upvc doors ;)

OK thanks again everyone. I'll post a pic once its done.

I need to get a heatgun to strip the paint off it

OK, quite sure everyone will think i'm a paranoid android at this stage (i am in information security by job btw), but have just been out to test the security of my frontdoor and was alarmed at the amount of flex that could be made by exerting moderate pressure on the bottom corner with my foot.

About 1 inch fairly easily on the bottom of the door and 3/4's inch top of door.

Maybe i am used to PVC doors with muliti-point locking.

As this door is going to be primary security at the front of the house, is there anything that can be retrofitted to prevent that flexing? I need to be able to lock from outside so i guess that excludes those throw bolt things that go on backdoors.

Would that degree of flex be normal ?

Thanks, really appreciate everyones help.

Sorry i realise my topic is probably getting boring or annoying now.. but is it really normal for a wooden door to flex so much when moderate foot pressure is applies into the bottom corner? I reckon without too much sweat I could probably bend the door enough to get it to break.

Some of my neighbours have wooden doors - don't really want to go testing the strength of them though hehe.

I have an M&T hardwood door which is very strong and rigid, sorry to hear yours is not so good. I wonder if the joints have come loose?

I have an M&T hardwood door which is very strong and rigid, sorry to hear yours is not so good. I wonder if the joints have come loose?

Thanks - not sure, but doesn't inspire confidence. I wonder why the joiner didn't try what I did - he said the door was fine, but didn't try forcing it.

If you decide you want to keep it, it would be worth knocking it apart at the joints (it is sure to be M&T), scraping off all the old glue (strip off the paint and sand it while you have it apart) and reassembing with new glue and wedges (modern glues are much better) in all the joints.

A joiner can do it, but it is not a difficult DIY job, but a bit slow. You mostly just need mallets and a workmate.

I don't see anything loose.. the vertical bit on the side where the lock is bends, taking the rest with it. Hard to explain.

If you put your foot on the bottom of your door corner, opposite side to the hinges, is there movement? I get about an inch.. with not a lot of effort.

Might call the joiner and ask him i guess. Or try on a neighbours door :D

Obviously UPVC doors are multi point locking, they have to be , becuase they really do flex, and dont make a noise when they are forced either. However almost all woodern doors arent, our doors flex by maybe half an inch at the bottom if you lean on them with you foot.

You can get multipoint locking systems to retrofit to woodern doors, but unless your expecting a direct attack on your house in partiuarlar I cant see that being require.

Any if you still decide you want to change it, make sure its taken out without damaging it or the glass so it can be sold and someone else can enjoy it.

Daniel

Sorry i realise my topic is probably getting boring or annoying now.. but is it really normal for a wooden door to flex so much when moderate foot pressure is applies into the bottom corner? I reckon without too much sweat I could probably bend the door enough to get it to break.
You can do anything with wooden doors and that's the beauty of it, you can strengthen it, repair it, you have a lovely door!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back