trying to get a perfect ceiling with a roller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had 5 new ceilings put up and the plasterers have left wonderful flat smooth ceilings. I've watered down 50/50 and put 2 coats of emulsion on, then i've watered down 70/30 and used a brush (terrible result). I've sanded that down (what a nightmare) . I've just rollered it with a brand new roller and it looks patchy (bit like looking at a large bit of suede). What am I doing wrong lads?

Sponsored Links
I think your only fault here is you are over thinning your paint, give it another coat but this time only ease it with 5% water.

Dec

It's a plastering fault known as ..................................

.............you guessed it - 'suede'. The plaster grains are laying the wrong way and catching the light.

Really Joe ? I've never heard that, do plasterers trowel according to the light then? or maybe i should say "should plasterers trowel according to the light ?"

Sponsored Links
When you 'polish' the final coat. you lay all the grains flat. 'Suede' is when some of the grains aren't lying flat - they're sort of roughed up like 'suede'.

Have you actually painted them with normal 'strength' emulsion yet? If not, you may find they look a lot better when you do.

If the plaster is still rough, you'll have to sand it down then re-paint.

Good luck!

Jeez, who'd have thought it! suede grain plaster finish. I've just rollered it with full strength emulsion (that's it's 5th coat n it looks better but still a few 'suede' patches. Out of interest, does the make of roller matter? or the choice of paint manufacturer?

Could be a number of things really - poor plaster finish, poor mix of mist coat/top coat and even the way youve used the roller.

i had the same problem just over a week ago and in the end, ended up slapping on an oil based undercoat, let that dry for 24hrs then apply the top emulsion white coat with a medium pile roller, not pressing to hard and ta dah..it looks perfect! ;)

after that, i undercoated my entire box room, ready for top coat and the finish looks better than my master bedroom :oops: :rolleyes:

(both rooms were newly skimmed in august):cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back