trying to get a radiator off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm having so much fun with the plumbing in our new house. I've ripped out the kitchen ready for the electrician to do his first fix, but there is a large radiator I need to remove. Of course the valve is broken so the next step was to drain the system down. Last night my lovely neighbour (who happens to be a heating engineer) popped in to help me get the ball rolling, but the whole system is so clogged up that barely a trickle was coming out. I resigned myself to a long weekend of draining, but when I connected the hose and undid the valve NOTHING. Nothing is coming out at all now. I know I need to get the whole things ripped out and replaced, but need to get this radiator out ASAP. Is it feasible to freeze the pipes in and out of the rad then cut the pipes and cap it off? (unfortunately for me my lovely neighbour is now away for the weekend).
One more controlled cup of tea before I resort to kicking the damned thing!

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/t...perative-heating-system.467709/#ixzz4LqADaq4q

Sponsored Links
Yes you can freeze both tails on the flow and return, then splice pipes, leave enough straight pipe to be able to push a speed fit cap on the open ends.
You will only have about 20 minutes to cut, cap and remove rad!

Last edited:
thank you so much. I will get my other half to help. I'm so relieved to know we can get this done. thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back