trying to meet stove regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone im installing a wood burning stove, well the Hetas engineer is and im sorting the hearth and opening out before hand. I know that there needs to be a 150mm gap for the sides of burner and im compliant with the rear and front however i im struggling with the following. I've noticed that regs say there needs to be a minimum of 300mm from above the top of the stove AND 1200mm from the top of the hearth to anything above. The stove im having is 5kw so not tiny and its 564mm high does this mean im going to have a 646mm empty gap where my stove is above it. im worried because this means my opening will be more than half the height of the room and everything will look out of proportion. Am i just being thick

Sponsored Links
The 1200mm is incorrect where ever you got that!

You need 300mm above the top stove surface to a non combustable surface and 600mm if combustable.

The distance above the stove is the important one.
Accessibility is secondary.

Sponsored Links
ok then ill cross my fingers and hope they feel its high enough its definitely got least 300mm anyway. on another note rather than starting a new thread could i use MDF fireboard to line the inside of the insert where the stove goes rather than rendering i **** a straight finish you see. If i do render though do i need to add lime or can i just use sand and cement

thanks for replys by the way

Never heard of mdf fiber board.
Vermiculite fireboard is what you want.

not at the price its at at present. Render it is then. plasterer on my street is really good but says hell just need sand and cement should i ask him to use lime aswell if so what ratio

No need to add lime unless you really want to. If you do, use a 6:1:1, but I know a couple of lads that do a lot of these and never have a problem using a SC 5:1 / 6:1 mix. They're HETAS guys and do the complete installation service and been going years so know what they're doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back