Trying to understand the building regs process

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have planning permission for an extension to the side and rear of my 30's semi but now I have to get regs approval.

I want to knock out the rear wall , I will have to put in a large rSJ etc. I will therefore have to get a structural engineer to do the calcs for that and foundations etc etc

What sort of plans have to be submitted to the council and what do they need to show?

Sponsored Links
There are two options;

One is called a 'full plans' submission. This is where you get all details drawn up and submit to BC for prior approval. This requires a lot of detail but you have the advantage of knowing that your design is approved and as long as you build to that design you will get to the end. It also gives you the advantage of having fairly detailed drawings to give to builders for pricing and knowing what you are getting for your money - and that they are all quoting for the same thing.

Second option is called 'building notice' submission. For this you need a lot less detail but you have to make things up as you go along. You will rely on your builder to some extent to make sure stages get inspected and agree the next stage with the building inspector.

Cost is the same for each. Which you use depends on how complicated your build is and how experienced you are at managing building/builders.

Note that 'Full Plans' is sometimes essential if, for instance, you're looking to secure funding from a bank against the work.

The work is knock down the original garage on the side of the house, replace with one 3 feet wider up to the boundary continue down the side of the property and go past the existing back of the house by an extra 4 metres, it will be single storey with a flat roof, out of interest, what would be the ROUGH cost of getting full plans done? (I'm in Surrey)

Sponsored Links
I'd be in the region of £500 with the base plans to work with. What plans did you use for the planning?

I drew them myself (let's face it they aren't hard to do!).
£500 don't seem too bad............result!

jeds";p="3390243 said:
I'd be in the region of £500 with the base plans to work with./quote]

Right, I'm on the first train down to Surrey tomorrow morning to set up a plan-drawing business. :D

Note that 'Full Plans' is sometimes essential if, for instance, you're looking to secure funding from a bank against the work.

I must have one of those other times where it's not essential, as Furness building society were happy to let me proceed with a privaate inspector and no plans..

Ask the bank concerned what they require, I'm sure it varies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back