Tumble dryer in the shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if this is in the correct section. My plan, or rather my wife's, is to put a tumble dryer in the shed. My idea is to put in a tumble dryer with the vent going through a hole i will cut out of the side of the shed. I have two questions, will a tumble dryer work throughout the winter in a varying temperature winter without the components breaking and also will the hot vapour coming out of the vent do any damage to the side of the shed or the brick wall 18 inches away from it?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It should work that way but from my experience most domestic tumble dryer manufacturers specifically exclude the use of their equipment outside the home from their guarantee.

I thought about that and some trade off would still be worth it. Even if the tumble dryer packs up earlier than it's normal life. Would the damp warm air damage the shed or mortar wall?

Sponsored Links
I thought about that and some trade off would still be worth it. Even if the tumble dryer packs up earlier than it's normal life. Would the damp warm air damage the shed or mortar wall?
You would normally put a plastic tube (or vent kit) between the wall and the outside so the machine vents outside without going near the walls.
The problem you may have is with potential for freezing and its the main one highlighted by the manufacturers instructions - since some water will always remain somewhere in the machine and if this freezers and the machine is turned on it could damage it.

Many people seem to have dryers in shed or garages with no problem. I suppose there is a theoretical risk that it if got very cold, the grease (asuming there is some) in the drum's bearings could thicken to the extent of imparing, or even preventing rotation of the drum until it warmed up - but I haven't heard of anyone experiencing that. It's just possible that manufacturer's will state a minimum ambient temperature, but I doubt it.

Kind Regards, John

It's just possible that manufacturer's will state a minimum ambient temperature, but I doubt it.
Just looked at my Bosch manual and they don't mention a specific figure but do highlight the point about "not setting the machine up in a room that is susceptible to frost. Freezing water may cause damage. "

It's just possible that manufacturer's will state a minimum ambient temperature, but I doubt it.
Just looked at my Bosch manual and they don't mention a specific figure but do highlight the point about "not setting the machine up in a room that is susceptible to frost. Freezing water may cause damage. "
I guess that makes sense, and obviously implies that 'sub-zero' ambient temperatures are not recommended/'acceptable'. However, I wonder how real the risk of damage actually is, because I know a good few people who have had dryers in outhouses for years without any apparent problems, despite some desparately cold outdoor temperatures in recent winters.

Kind Regards, John.

I take comfort from the comments above saying lots of people do this which suggests the theoretical risk doesn't materialise often? Words like 'may' or 'could' in manuals support this I reckon?

I think this is a goer, all your comments are much appreciated. I just gave an electrician 50 quid to sort out the fuse box in the shed when all I wanted was a mounted wall plug lead removed from it! I might as well capitalise now on my good shed electrics!!!!

Matt

My dryer isn't even in the shed, it's just outside underneath a lean to. No issues whatsoever

This is perhaps food for thought, before you decide?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-23928359[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. Yes, tumble dtyers can start fires, but I presume that the house fire would have been at least as bad had the fire started in the house, rather than the shed. Indeed, if a shed containing a dryer is a reasonable distance from the house, the risk to the house would presumably be reduced.

You might perhaps be thinking that a fire starting in a shed might not be detected as early/quickly as one starting in an occupied house - but if one were concerned about that, it could be addressed by alarms.

Kind Regards, John

It was pretty much the secondary bit. People often do things without necessarily considering all that they need to. Often it's fine as can be seen by other posts here and "the shed is dry, electric has been in there ages and no problem etc". Would the subject of alarms have come up if all of the posts were of the "can't see why not?" type? Maybe, maybe not.

When someone comes here to ask about whether it's a good idea or not, seeing both the good and the bad may help them make a more informed decision, no?

my thoughts on this

a tumble dryer in use every other day would help raise the ambient temperature in the shed through convected heat from the motor and heat absorbed by the machines metalwork

sheds seldom go below freezing unless the ambient air temperature is below zero for days on end and no sun

if you make sure there is a slight drop towards the wall to avoid condensation falling back into the machine

and if you are worried at all still when you empty the machine cover it with a quilt

i would suggest there are probably 1 million machines in outhouses/sheds

It was pretty much the secondary bit. ... When someone comes here to ask about whether it's a good idea or not, seeing both the good and the bad may help them make a more informed decision, no?
Sure, I'm not knocking you, but wasn't quite sure what point you were making. However, as I said, if the shed is a significant distance from the shed, I would imagine that the house would be at a lot lower risk of suffering from a dryer-initiated fire than would be the case if the dryer were in the house, alarms or no alarms.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back