Turn on hot tap results in warm radiator not water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a house which has a Baxi 80 HE in the loft and, as unseen at viewing, we requested a Gas Safe Cert as part of our purchase which was provided. Having been in the house of 2 weeks its never had hot water but as it has a surprisingly good electric shower downstairs this hasn't bothered us, what with everything else to sort, but I thought I'd have a look last night.

Turned on the hot tap in the bathroom and left it running for 5 minutes. Nothing, no heat at all. Looked at boiler and it is running, has ignited and the lights are showing the water should be 70 odd degrees. One of the pipes leaving the boiler is hot also so went back down, water still cold but I brushed past the bathroom radiator (no TRV) and its bloody hot despite the heating being off!

All I can think of, other than its plumbed in wrong, is that it has a faulty 3 way valve but it doesn't have a hot water cylinder (that I have seen anyway). It does have a small expansion vessel next to the boiler but I've never encountered one of these before so no idea what it should be doing.

Other than call a plumber, which is next on my list, is there anything else I could look a first? Would the Engineer that issued the Gas Safe cert not check this or are they literally checking the boiler operation and nothing else?

Any help greatly received.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back