turning a bungalow into a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed recently a couple of bungalows that have had their roofs ripped off and a complete storey built on top (timber construction then rendered). This seems a great idea, is it as simple as nailing vertical 4 x 2's onto the wall plate and up we go, or is there a ring beam of rsj's sitting on the old walls first?

Sponsored Links
it's not simple, you need a structural engineer to make sure that the existing building - and foundations - can take the weight of the extra storey.

But it's a sensible way of getting extra space - a sort of loft conversion on steroids but without the restrictions of the existing roofspace.

But it's a sensible way of getting extra space.
...apart from losing all that room putting a staircase in and the visual impact of horrific, badly built dormers on properties that were never meant to have them and the money lost on the fact that it is no longer a bungalow.

You could always extend the bungalow horizontally..... :idea:

Sponsored Links
Noseall, I own a small terraced house. But the way I see it, if you bung a new storey on top of a bunga, you've got a stonking great detached house that must be worth loads more than the cost of bunging on that new storey.

Out of interest, what stops the upper storey from eventually starting to lean? I assume you can't nail on any diagonals...........

We're planning on doing this to our bungalow. The reason we chose the bungalow was due to the great plot, great location and damn reasonable purchase price. We're currently having plans drawn up and are speaking to a structural engineer once the plans are done. We intend to turn the current 95sqm bungalow into a 250sqm 1.5 storey home with a new purpose built roof and minimal dormers that suit the build & roof lights, not horrible bolted on flat-roofed dormers. Not sure how we'll achieve it yet as the plate level needs to be increased slightly, but I was hoping to do it using a timber frame and blockwork where new extension are to be added downstairs.

The attraction for us was simple. Yes it will be a lot of hard work, but we should get a house which otherwise we'd never have been able to afford.

Someone is doing this in the village at the moment, and are selling for more than double what they paid in 2011.

I have noticed recently a couple of bungalows that have had their roofs ripped off and a complete storey built on top (timber construction then rendered). This seems a great idea, is it as simple as nailing vertical 4 x 2's onto the wall plate and up we go, or is there a ring beam of rsj's sitting on the old walls first?
I've seen some lovely bungalow to house conversions near where I live.
Of course, planning permission would be required. A bungalow in a street of houses will quite likely get permission; in a street full of bungalows you would probably struggle to get it.

The foundations need to be checked for capacity, but unless the ground is particularly poor, the chances are that they will be wide enough. If not, you've got the major expense of underpinning or piling.

Lintels over the existing windows may well have to be beefed up to cope with the extra loads, and if there are small masonry piers there's a good chance they will need to be rebuilt using a stronger brick/masonry combination too.

Also, the floor joists may well need to be increased in size, as loft joists are rarely capable of carrying domestic floor loads. On top of this, a staircase has to protrude through the floor. This will require trimming with either more timber or steel.

So no, it's not as simple as nailing a timber frame onto the wall plate, and will work out pretty expensive.

Noseall, I own a small terraced house. But the way I see it, if you bung a new storey on top of a bunga, you've got a stonking great detached house that must be worth loads more than the cost of bunging on that new storey.
Probably depends on where you live and the cost of housing in the area.

Out of interest, what stops the upper storey from eventually starting to lean? I assume you can't nail on any diagonals...........
Timber frames have to be braced somehow; it's usually done using plywood sheathing on the exterior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back