Turning off gas at mains (new boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to go away for two weeks and intend to turn off the gas at the mains. We had a new boiler (Baxi condensing, wall mounted) last year and I just thought I'd check with the experts here if I need to do anything either before or after turning off in order not to damage anything. (Obviously, I'll set the timer to OFF for HW and Heat.) The reason I'm asking is that my old back boiler developed an air lock once when I did this (for three weeks in the summer) and I had to call an engineer to clear it. I expect the new ones are pretty idiot-proof though (he says optimistically!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If the gas installation is sound, why should there be a problem? Also. while not a need for that at this time of the year for heating but what we know about the weather, boiler will most likely have frost protection which may need burners to fire. So if you turned the gas off, boiler will lockout.

Why would frost protection kick in in June? Thing is that we had a leak some years ago (luckily we were in at the time) due to a damaged pipe caused by some building work. Ever since then I've been ultra-careful whenever gas is concerned. If we don't need to use it for 2 weeks, why take the risk?

So namsag, looking at your profile you seem to be an expert. My neighbour reckons that I need to leave it for about 10 minutes after turning back on when we get back (something about clearing air from the pipes - that's waht his gas engineer told him, apparently). Sorry to be a numpty, but I'm assuming pilot lights are a thing of the past.

So namsag, looking at your profile you seem to be an expert. My neighbour reckons that I need to leave it for about 10 minutes after turning back on when we get back (something about clearing air from the pipes - that's waht his gas engineer told him, apparently). .

Better tell the neighbour to change his 'gas engineer' , why would 'air' enter gas supply?

Sorry, you're quite right! Just seen him over the fence and it was apparently to do with his pilot light that needed a few minutes before he could re-light it after a shutdown. Engineer said this was normal in older boilers. (The air theory was my neighbour's!) Told you I was a numpty when it comes to gas. Any more comments on my original question?

Ever since then I've been ultra-careful whenever gas is concerned. If we don't need to use it for 2 weeks, why take the risk?

So, are you saying if go away at Christmas time for two weeks, you would still turn the gas off at the meter? Anyway, why should there be a gas leak if the work has been done/ checked by RGI? Are you planning on switching the power off to the boiler as well? As a RGI fail to see where the risk comes in.

I'm about to go away for two weeks and intend to turn off the gas at the mains. We had a new boiler (Baxi condensing, wall mounted) last year and I just thought I'd check with the experts here if I need to do anything either before or after turning off in order not to damage anything. (Obviously, I'll set the timer to OFF for HW and Heat.) The reason I'm asking is that my old back boiler developed an air lock once when I did this (for three weeks in the summer) and I had to call an engineer to clear it. I expect the new ones are pretty idiot-proof though (he says optimistically!)

just switch off boiler, turn off gas, then turn on gas switch on boiler

We did go away in January and left everything on. Am intending to set HW and CH to OFF at the timer. No need to turn off water main is there?
Why do insurance companies insist that the gas be turned off if a house is left empty for 30 days? Mine does. It's just playing safe, I suppose.

We did go away in January and left everything on. Am intending to set HW and CH to OFF at the timer. No need to turn off water main is there?
Why do insurance companies insist that the gas be turned off if a house is left empty for 30 days? Mine does. It's just playing safe, I suppose.

wat about playing it safe with water? will cause alot of damage if a pipe bursts while your away??

Turning off the gas when leaving the house is a hangover from the war years and is no longer valid in this age of modern systems..........unless you suspect an air raid when you are away. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back