Turning off the stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realised the other day I have no idea how to turn off the water in my flat altogether. I had a look and found what I'm 99% sure must be the stopcock (A big old tap right next to the door.) However, turning it clockwise just seems to spin it for ages with no effect on water supply, and the tap itself starts to drip quite badly.

Do I just want to keep spinning it until it stops, or have I found something that isn't the stopcock?

Sponsored Links
If its attached to a pipe that comes through the floor, and possibly has a drain down stub for attaching a hose, then its probably the stop cock.

Sounds like something is broken or sheared off inside, and the gland nut is weeping.

Replacement would be the best action.

It sound like you have found the stop tap.

How many turns are you turning it :?:

Old stop taps do tend to leak when they are messed with, you might stop the drips by tightening the nut slightly where the shaft is but it might be better to get it replaced.

Andy.

could be youve turned a gate valve.basically a good description might help.gate valves tend to have blue or red type wheel head.proper stop taps one bar head,etc.

Sponsored Links
If u put the cold water tap on in the kitchen & turn the stop cock clockwise (may need a few turns) the water coming out of the kitchen tap should eventually stop. If it doesn't your stop cock is faulty. You can either:

1. Try turning the water off outside your property ie on the footpath etc or
2. Hire a freezer kit and freeze the pipe coming into ur property but before the stop cock and replace it.

Best to take a pic of the stop cock before buying on. They come in 2 sizes 15mm or 22mm for domestic properties. Usually its 15mm.

If u put the cold water tap on in the kitchen & turn the stop cock clockwise (may need a few turns) the water coming out of the kitchen tap should eventually stop. If it doesn't your stop cock is faulty. You can either:

1. Try turning the water off outside your property ie on the footpath etc or
2. Hire a freezer kit and freeze the pipe coming into ur property but before the stop cock and replace it.

Best to take a pic of the stop cock before buying on. They come in 2 sizes 15mm or 22mm for domestic properties. Usually its 15mm.

i would suggest 99.9% of main stopcocks will be 22mm

Beg to differ ..most in my area are 15mm. Guess it depends where u live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back