TV installation, Internal Cavity Walls and cable routing dimlema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure if to post it here or in A/V .... but here goes...

2 year old house, Bedroom internal Stud wall, with insulation. Currently has ring main and Ariel sockets.

I have installed a TV bracket high up the wall, and now need to run some power to the bracket area, ideally internal of the stud wall. The Ariel and LAN feeds are coming from the loft.

Does anyone see any reason or problem with using a standard two gang extension for this? I was thinking using two blanking plates horizontal to each other for entry / exit points. plug on one end and double gang tie wrapped to the bracket at the other.

Would the cable be OK in the cavity wall, pulled in place through the wall insulation?

I know ideally fused spur would be best method, but I already have a fused spur form the socket to the loft power, hence looking for alternate solution.

Sponsored Links
Just for clarity the wall is an internal Stud wall - timber / plasterboard with rock-wool type insulation.

Come down from the loft with a cable from the loft power radial circuit, it's already on a fused spur so all is good. Drill through the top plate of the stud wall directly above where your bracket is/socket wants to be, cut the plasterboard for your socket back box, and shove a cable down from the loft. If your socket is high up, so much the better, all the noggins (horizontal timbers) in the stud wall should be halfway up the wall.

Sorry, but your method sounds rough, but I'm sure you already know that.

Currently has ring main and Ariel sockets.

Ariel is washing powder (the upper case letter enforces this), and I assume Ariel socket is the powder drawer on your washing machine.

Could you actually mean aerial sockets?

Sponsored Links
If you don't have anything practical to say, don't say anything.
Every morning when you get up, stand facing a mirror, and with your eyes open chant that about 50 times.

Having a bit of a laugh with (or at) a regular over an unfortunate misspelling is one thing. What you did? RF was right.

It was not a misspelling. It was the wrong word. It is a very common mistake which needs correcting.

I'll start spelling it areal then - that's a very uncommon word to use in error, so won't need correcting.

RF was right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back