Two earth wires - fitting new pendent light - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at DIY on light fittings and really want to make sure i'm doing everything 100% correct before electrocuting myself!

I have taken down my old light fitting, which was metal, and i'm putting up a new one which is fully insulated.

The old light fitting had a black sheath with the live and neutral inside, and the earth was connected to the metal casing up to the rose on the ceiling.

After removing all of this i have noticed on the ceiling rose that there are two earth cables coming from the ceiling which are both attached tot the role. The earth and neutral are attached to the block on the ceiling.

Can anyone tell me why there are two earth wires? Am i safe to simply remove the live, neutral, and one of the earth wires and simply attach to the new block in my new lamp fitment.

The first photo is what i am faced with now, and the second shows how it was attached with the old fitment.

Your help is much appreciated!

Best

Cheekydollar [/img]

Sponsored Links
No idea why its been done like that, but you should connect both earth wires to the new fitting.

Thanks, so is it OK to attach both earth wires to the same connection point in the new box?

Prentice - i dont know what singles are...!

the new fitment simply has a black tube to feed the wires too which leads to a white box with the three screw to attach the wires.

Sponsored Links
Are the cables singles? If so they both may have a CPC/Earth within the sheath.
Is it possible that the lighting circuit was originally wired in cable which didn't have CPC and that the two G/Ys we're seeing are part of a 'CPC daisy-chain' subsequently added to provide each fitting with a CPC?

Kind Regards, John

This a single and CPC/Earth with black core colour, you could have a single red and a single black each with the CPC/Earth (which have both been sleeved to indicate they are earth)

The logical thing to do would be to reconnect as found, if you were replacing with fittings that require an earth connection, the safe thing to do would test that it exists.

Is it possible that the lighting circuit was originally wired in cable which didn't have CPC and that the two G/Ys we're seeing are part of a 'CPC daisy-chain' subsequently added to provide each fitting with a CPC?
It is something we cannot rule out and a fair point.

Hmm I am a little more confused now than when i started!

The original fitting was class I but the new one is class II so i cannot rewire it the same way anyway.

Any ideas?

Are you saying the class 2 fitting does not have a connector block location for the earth wire?

If it does have a connection point, then connect both earth cables to it.

If it does not, then connect the two earths together with a choc block.

The two earths MUST remain connected together.

Hi,

The new fitting has a plastic block for connecting 3 wires - earth, live, neutral.

What im saying is that the old fitting which was class I has the earth wire connected to the metal casing, which you wouldnt do with class II as far as im aware!

I'm only confused with all this talk of CPCs to be honest!

From the sounds of it I can simply remove the wires from the ceiling rose and attach directly to the new block with both earth wires attached to the earth terminal.

...I think!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back