Two light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I currently have 2 seperate light switches side by side. One for the front room and one for the stairs.
I want to install one double switch and make the hole good.
Can i wire 2 seperate light circuits into one switch?
thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
You can put them into a two-gang switch, or do you want to turn on both lights at the same time with a single switch? If they really are on different circuits (ie each one goes to a different circuit breaker/fuse) then that's not a good idea. If they're actually two lights on the same circuit, then yes you can but make a note somewhere of what you've done so someone in the future will understand what's going on.

PJ

Yes you can - a double switch is just two single switches on the same faceplate, or inside a single moulding.

2 x 1-gang 1-way switches have a total of 4 terminals, 1 x 2-gang 1-way has 4, and so on.

Even if only one of the switches is a 2-way you must get a 2-gang 2-way. If you do, pay attention to the markings as sometimes one side is "upside down". There's info on that in the Wiki.

Make sure the power is off, and make a good note of what goes where before disconnecting anything - taking photos (which you check are OK) before you disconnect would be a good move.

If the new switch is to be metal, check first that the circuit(s) have an earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back