Two Lights 1 double switch - How to wire switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a topic that exists already with this title, but it involves a circuit that is part of a ring. Whereas with what I need to do both of the lights need to exist independently. I have uploaded a schematic which explains what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks, Nathan

Sponsored Links
When you say "Ring Main" do you mean off the socket ring circuit?

You can't spur of a ring main for some lights in the way your showing. If you use the ring main you must fuse the supply down from 32A to 5amp usung a fused spur. Sound like you'd be better off with a sparkie.....

Sponsored Links
I have just checked the cable situation as I was going from memory when I posted originally. I am actually wanting to take a spur from a cable running between two sockets. This is the only cable that is remotely near where I need to put the lights. Everything else would involve taking up floor boards, which just is not possible. I know it is not general practice to mix up light and socket circuits but... Would the schematic posted by ColJack still apply?

Here is an updated version of my schematic.

Your schematic still doesn't show a fused connection unit. To reiterate, you MUST install a fused connection unit between the ring final and the lights/switch. It should be fitted with a 3 or 5A fuse in the carried, and would replace the 30A J.B. in your schematic. Anything after the FCU can be wired in 1.0 or 1.5mmsq T+E.

yes but the "junction box" would need to be a fused spur broken into the ring and the output of which would then be the feed to the lights.. using a 3A or 5A fuse in the fused spur..

Can you recommend a product that would suit my requirements or post a picture as I am having trouble visualizing what you mean. I understand that I need a fuse but am uncertain as to where I need to incorporate it in the circuit.

What I thought would be a simple task has, once again, proved itself to be anything but.

Thanks for your help..

"How do I wire a 1-way switch?"

"What's an FCU?"

"Where do I fuse down from a socket circuit?"

Chumply - as I see it you have 2 courses of action here.

1) Put this project on hold for a while, and do a lot of this:

Thanks ban-all-sheds for that wealth of information, I shall indeed pour over it in great detail, and as your post highlights, my electrical knowledge is limited at best, hence the posts with entry level questions; I just wanted to be certain. I have learned a lot here today and as a result will actively seek out more reading / understanding, starting with the links you sent me.

So, Just to clarify my project... (which is on hold)

Thanks

Both the lights should show their lives to L1. If one goes to an L2, that switch will appear to operate upside down. ;)

Thanks ban-all-sheds for that wealth of information, I shall indeed pour over it in great detail, and as your post highlights, my electrical knowledge is limited at best, hence the posts with entry level questions; I just wanted to be certain. I have learned a lot here today and as a result will actively seek out more reading / understanding, starting with the links you sent me.

So, Just to clarify my project... (which is on hold)

Thanks

Won't work, as you would be breaking the law. Where is this outside light being fitted, where will the cable run and what sort cable will you use?? If you order the fused spur CJ linked to, remove the 13 amp fuse and replace with 5amp. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back