Two lights on a double switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to find if there is a reference to my problem, and I can't see one.

In the hall, I have a ceiling light, on a wall switch with two on/off switches. The other switch is linked to the porch light.

I've just replaced the ceiling light in the hall. This light works but the porch light doesn't work. I thought that I had the wiring correct, but clearly not.

There is one wire (black) that when I connect it to where I thought it should go, switches on the same light, in the hall, but not the porch light.

I've left this black wire out of the loop, but the porch light doesn't work.

There were three red wires; two wrapped together and one separate. These wires were separate, when I removed the old fitting. I've connected these three wires together and the ceiling light works, but not the porch.

I know the problem is linked to these four wires, but don't know how to solve the problem.

Can anyone help, please?

Sponsored Links
There were three red wires; two wrapped together and one separate. These wires were separate, when I removed the old fitting. I've connected these three wires together
1) So it worked before

2) You decided to connect the wires up differently

3) Now it doesn't work.

(3) is because of (2).

The question is, why did you do (2)?

I know the problem is linked to these four wires, but don't know how to solve the problem

220px-Digital_Multimeter_Aka.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Sponsored Links
butch1961 your a naughty boy!
You should have noted down the connections and marked you the cables, took photos if needs be.
It could be any combination now, you need to borrow BAS's multimeter and do a bit of testing.
Continuity to identify which wires operates which lights and also you need to know which are the live feeds, all good fun!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back