two loop-in roses and two pull switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two lights in my hall operated by two way pull switches. I have taken off the old flush-to- ceiling lights and want to replace them with pendants lamps.

The old lights just had simple live, neutral and earth connections, The loop-in roses are different and I can't figure it out. The first one of the roses has two twin and earth cables, the other has only one.

One of the first two cables is the power supply, the other must be to the switch or something. I've tried various combinations without success.

I'd love some advice here, please.

Sponsored Links
Just connect your new light (actual bulb wires) to the same terminals as the old ones.

Any other additional wires should be terminated the same as they are now.

I appreciate your willingness to help but, unfortunately, I can't understand what you have said. What I need is where to connect the live and neutral wires, both from the supply cable and the other one, on the rose. There are three sections on the rose and I suspect that I have to fix a neutral wire to the live section and then put a red tape on it to signify that it is no longer the neutral wire. Even if this is right, I still can't quire figure it out.

I have two lights in my hall operated by two way pull switches. I have taken off the old flush-to- ceiling lights and want to replace them with pendants lamps.
Sounds simple enough, just copy what is/was existing
The old lights just had simple live, neutral and earth connections, The loop-in roses are different and I can't figure it out.
If you are not altering anything and simply have L-N-E, then the loop on a ceiling rose would not be used.
The first one of the roses has two twin and earth cables, the other has only one.
And are these terminated at the live, neutral and earth of the fitting, with no loop
One of the first two cables is the power supply, the other must be to the switch or something. I've tried various combinations without success.
So you are saying there is a loop then?
If you have now disconnected the original set up, you now need some test equipment to identify what the cables are doing. What colours are present and does one have an additional sleeve, tag or mark on it?
I'd love some advice here, please.
The best advice would be in future, take notes, diagrams, pictures and mark the cables and positions, prior to removal or attain some knowledge on how lighting circuits work or alternative employ someone who does!

Sponsored Links
I appreciate your willingness to help but, unfortunately, I can't understand what you have said. What I need is where to connect the live and neutral wires, both from the supply cable and the other one, on the rose. There are three sections on the rose and I suspect that I have to fix a neutral wire to the live section and then put a red tape on it to signify that it is no longer the neutral wire. Even if this is right, I still can't quire figure it out.
Without knowing exactly what you have, a picture would be very helpful. I can only guess that you have a looped in live, these would normally be red (old colours) or brown (new colours). They would normally be connected in the looped (central bank) of terminals on a standard ceiling rose.
Then you will be left with the earths, they terminate in the earth terminal. Now you should have either two blacks or two blues (But I am not ruling out others combinations). One is the neutral and the other is the switch live. On some lamp holders it is important that this are connected the right way around and worth finding out through testing. A voltage indicator or a continuity tester would be required to determine this.
But the lamp will work even in reverse polarity.

The old lights just had simple live, neutral and earth connections, The loop-in roses are different and I can't figure it out.
They have terminals to allow the use of a lighting circuit looping from one rose to the next.

But you don't have that ("The old lights just had simple live, neutral and earth connections"), so just ignore the loop terminal - connect the LNE to the LNE terminals in the rose, and the the pendant flex to the rose.

The first one of the roses has two twin and earth cables, the other has only one.

One of the first two cables is the power supply, the other must be to the switch or something.
You've got 2 lights on the same switches. Isn't it more likely that the 2nd cable runs to the other light?

I've tried various combinations without success.
You only had L,N & E - can't understand why you didn't only connect them as they were before.

I suspect that I have to fix a neutral wire to the live section
BANG!

Do not connect N & L - it will not go well. For a very short time there will be far more excitement than is fun, and then the circuit will go dead and the switch(es) might be ruined.

and then put a red tape on it to signify that it is no longer the neutral wire.
Putting tape on a neutral conductor does not change it from neutral to something else.

Even if this is right, I still can't quire figure it out.

Right, it's after one in the morning so I'll have to study the posts when I wake up. Must get to bed now.

The best advice would be in future, take notes, diagrams, pictures and mark the cables and positions, prior to removal or and attain some knowledge on how lighting circuits work...
Valid correction.
To the OP: It would be very wise to gain some knowledge and understanding on the tasks you undertake, prior to starting them. It would also be wise to have the correct tools and equipment to successfully complete these tasks, and as this task is an electrical one, at least a multi-meter would be required.

Thank you all for your posts. I've studied them this morning and got the lights working beautifully. I think that I'm not bright enough ever to be an electrician so I'm glad guys like you are around.

Bludger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back