Two questions re a Kitchen Diner conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of getting quotes together for a new kitchen diner - the work will comprise of a new kitchen, removal of a partition wall, bricking up of old kitchen door replacing it with a window, and reconfiguring the electric sockets and plumbing etc.

What I'm not sure about is if there is anything I need to do regarding building control and planning regs? We are getting a builder to remove the wall and install the kitchen, and getting a local window fitter to do the windows and brick up the door.

The first niggle I have is that I'm not 100% certain whether or not the wall is load bearing (I'm 90% sure it isn't) so is this for my builder to confirm and sign off on or is it for me to confirm and tell my builder?

The other niggle I've got is that I had cavity wall insulation fitted a few years ago (the little silver ball kind), will this cause problems when creating the new bit of wall where the door was? I've heard that 'cold patches' in non-insulated parts of insulated cavity walls can cause issues, so do I need to make sure the new bit of wall has insulation fitted? Is this something I should expect the window fitter to do? Is it a legal requirement now for newly built cavity walls?

Just want to make sure I've covered all my bases before the work starts...

Any advice would be welcome...

Sponsored Links
removal of a partition wall, bricking up of old kitchen door replacing it with a window, and reconfiguring the electric sockets and plumbing etc.

It doesn't matter whether the partition wall is load bearing or not, it is still a dividing wall between two rooms and its removal is notifiable to Building Control. Bricking up the door is also notifiable. The main reason is the layout of the building and means of escape in the event of fire.

The electric work may be notifiable depending on the nature of the work and if it is not done by a self-certifiable person.

Usually your builder would prepare the wall opening ready for the window. And having done that he might as well fit the window as well.

it is still a dividing wall between two rooms and its removal is notifiable to Building Control

It's only notifiable if it is structural.

The OP is required to consider if the removal does actually impact on fire safety though, and not make things any worse than they are.

Sponsored Links
anything I need to do regarding building control

It's your responsibility to check if you need a building control application or not. Your builder is obligated to advise you what statutory permissions are required, but whether he is actually clued up or can be bothered to tell you is another matter. Bottom line is that it comes back to you if there are any issues.

The window fitter will need to self certify his work if he is member of a scheme, but he can't self certify blocking up the door below, so that's an application. Likewise for the electrical work in the kitchen. You will also need to consider ventilation to the converted kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back