Two-storey extension to side of existing single storey house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings earthlings

Anybody any experience of the above scenario?

Is it possible to build the extension "beside" the existing gable wall i.e the extension is basically another building beside the existing but tied together somehow???

Many thanks for any help

V

Sponsored Links
What you propose is easily possible but it’s unlikely planning will allow you to go above the existing roof line. Your more likely to succeed with an extension matching the existing height but with a built in loft conversion.

Errr, this sounds just like an erm... 'extension' to me, or am I missing something? :confused:

Thanks for replies folks

Its in Ireland and the planning has passed because its a single house on a rural site.

Secondly I was wondering is this the standard way of bulding such an extension or would the existing gable wall be used somehow to support the new two-storey wall??

In terms of the existing foundation of the gable wall how would I manage to get the new wall and its foundation very close alongside it? Would the existing foundation be cut back or something???

V

Sponsored Links
An existing external wall wil merely become a new internal wall when you build an extension - ie it will divide the rooms. You don't build another wall next to it. If need be you can build in it or into it.

Dedpending on the roof design, the extising gable wall with either support part of the new roof or the nre roof timbers will span across and join the existing roof.

Don't you have a designer to do the design work and worry about this? What did the approved plans show?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back