Two way light switch with earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am swapping out two metal light switches for plastic ones and notice that there are three wires, red, blue and yellow plus the metal earth wire all attached to the inside of the switch I am removing. Is this hence a two way switch and if so can I buy a plastic one that can make use of the earth wire or do I need to put that into a termination block?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it would appear to be a 2-way switch & there is often a terminal in a corner of the back box that you could connect the earth wire to.

Please make a note of which wires go where. New switches sometimes differ in marking too, but terminal layout is usually the same.

I am swapping out two metal light switches for plastic ones and notice that there are three wires, red, blue and yellow plus the metal earth wire all attached to the inside of the switch I am removing. Is this hence a two way switch and if so can I buy a plastic one that can make use of the earth wire or do I need to put that into a termination block?

Thanks

Its not clear from your statment but if you only have one red, blue and yellow wire into a two gang switch then that suggests that you may be missing a a cable or two. One set of three core would normally suggest that it forms the end part 'strapper' of a single gang two way switch. If it is not part of a two way arrangement then you will need to investigate further.

Oh and I hope you do not intend to utilise the earth for the missing cable. Remember you cannot 'make use of the earth wire' other than put it in the assigned position in the back box or if not available put it in a terminal block.

But before you start messing about with your lighting circuit you need to sort out your 'faulty' FCU first don't you?

Sponsored Links

Thanks

Its not clear from your statment but if you only have one red, blue and yellow wire into a two gang switch then that suggests that you may be missing a a cable or two. One set of three core would normally suggest that it forms the end part 'strapper' of a single gang two way switch. If it is not part of a two way arrangement then you will need to investigate further.

Oh and I hope you do not intend to utilise the earth for the missing cable. Remember you cannot 'make use of the earth wire' other than put it in the assigned position in the back box or if not available put it in a terminal block.

But before you start messing about with your lighting circuit you need to sort out your 'faulty' FCU first don't you?

god.

What 2 gang switch?

What missing cable?

The very first reply was a perfect answer to the question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back