two way light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put two new lights in my lounge and a two way switch, at the back of the switch I have 6 connections 1 common & L1 & L2 for the left switch and the same again for the right switch . Next to the two way switch I have a single switch which turns the landing light on or off . I have two reds and two blacks from that single switch which I have fed into the two way switch two reds which I have connected to the common one in each and then the two blacks one in L2 and the other in the other L2. I have now two new lights working in the lounge but some how no lights at all upstairs. Bedrooms and bathroom no lights so at the moment am useing table lamps from the 13ap sockets. I am sure that I have broken the ring main power some how or have I wired the plug wrong. Can somebody please advise me please. There no power in the switches upstais as I have checked with a neon. Im baffled mates please help.
John Jones[/list]

Sponsored Links
If a switch has two rockers, it is a two GANG switch. If there are two switches controlling the light, it is a two WAY switch, even if there is more than one rocker on the plate.

I don't quite understand (unless I'm missing something), but why have you taken wiring out of the 1 gang switch which has nothing to do with the new lights, and put it into the two gang switch?

Sorry my friend, what I meant to say is that I wired the twoway switch which came from behind the single switch not from the switch it self. I also checked the switches upstairs with one of those power pens with a red light and no power upstairs on the light circuit :oops: This is a right teaser
John Jones

Sponsored Links
johnjones said:
I have put two new lights in my lounge
I assume from this that these are new installations and not just change of fittings.

I would have thought there were a couple of posibilites not related to the wiring of the switches themselves.

1) All lights on one circuit. When installing the new lights in the lounge the radial circuit was disconnected at the ceiling rose or junction box.

2) Upstairs lights on a different circuit. The Fuse/MCB may have gone while working near the switch to the upstairs light.

Just my 2p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back