Two way lighting

Ah! i see it now it's on the main index page,Apologies for not seeing that sooner, not really what i was saying though, a reply to a post is more specific to the original post and most would read that as opposed to looking in the sticky area, think how waded down that area would be if it contained all the answers to all the questions!

If someone wanted advice on Two way Switching where would they go,
a post with a title "Sticky" or a post with the title "Two way switching"?
geddit!?

Sponsored Links
I can see where you're coming from, but if people do a search here for 2-way switching they will find all manner of info.

The idea of replying to an old post to lift it to the top so that newcomers will see it seems good at first, but within a few days it'll be on p2 or 3...

Fair Dues Ban, agreed, it all depends on how you have grown to be accustomed to navigating forums, I personally like to follow the same thread but each to their own.

I'm no longer sure I know what's going on vis-a-vis your reasoning. If people start new threads, which they do all the time, then no matter what your preferences are, you have to start following the new one(s).

There are about 50 threads displayed per page on this forum, and currently the oldest one (in terms of the last post to it) is 4 days old, so if we leave this one alone, then probably by the weekend it'll no longer be on p1

Sponsored Links
I would follow a new thread if it interested me or if i felt i could help with advice, to elaborate on what i was saying previously , that as you rightly put it, threads come and go and end up pages deeper and i can understand your reasoning aswell, that if someone new has the same problem then they might repost it and start the process all over again.

I personally look at the index page and if a topic is near the top then it is still being replied to and read whether that is the correct way or not i'm not sure but it's the way i've always worked with forums.

I suppose if this forum is run any differently then time would show me the correct method of posting here but i'm still new to this forum and am still testing the water.

kendor said:
.. if someone new has the same problem then they might repost it and start the process all over again...
You will not believe the frequency with which "help i have changed my light and there were all these wires and i connected all the reds together and all the blacks and now i have no lights at all please help" questions arise...

IMHO it should be illegal for people to sell luminaires which do not have sufficient terminals on them to replace a ceiling rose. And clear instructions with letters 1 foot high telling people to make a note of which wire goes where before they remove them...

eventually a few will get frustrated enough even after following all the good advice on here and call an electrician which keeps the old sparky in work so keeping everyone happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back