Types of foundations ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning a 2 storey extension to the side of our detached house.

I believe that there are 2 sorts of foundations:-

Strip foundations
Trench fill

What is the advantages of each and which is usually cheapest ?

Sponsored Links
if ground conditions allow i.e. level all rouund and not sloping too mutch then definitely mass fill as this cuts down on costly bricklaying. ask the concrete supplier to put some freeflow in the mix this will cut down on levelling and tamping too.

depends on the ground conditions you have really, there is also a raft foundation!

Sponsored Links
I built my own extension in September and i really do mean built my own. Did everything myself including brick laying and joinery for traditional roof ran out of money just before christmas but back on it now. Just finishing the roof at the moment.

I laid strip foundations and then came out of the ground with Trench blocks. Easily laid and they form both internal and external wall at same time.

I found using these cheeper than mass filling with expensive concrete.

I think they were only about £1.50 each and its surprising how few you need. They are quite big.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back