Tyre Prices!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found a puncture today. A thorn (!!) near the sidewall so need new tyre.

Mich Pilot HX 205/55 ZR16 91W MXM tread pattern.

Varying costs from 128.00 (fully fitted) down to 82.87.

What a difference hey?

Pays to shop around: more than a 1/3 off.....

Sponsored Links
What about getting them fitted? They mention fitting on the website but don't seem to go into any specifics.

I bet if I took my car and two tyres into the local tyre-shop they would refuse to fit them at balancing and fitting-only cost!

Adam

I got these details from that website billed as a tyre depot willing to fit tyres bought from mytyre:

Lingard Lane
SK6 2QT Bredbury, Stockport
Opening hours: From Monday to Friday 8.30 - 6.00 hours, Saturday 8.30 - 5.00 hours
phone number: 0800 0568360 / 0161 4940915
The price of the mounting of one tyre, includes demounting of the old one; putting in a new valve; Balancing; mount the new tyre and VAT £ 5,3
Plus disposal of the old tyres (if requested) £ 0,65
Aloy wheel rims: £ 3,5 Additional charge
Maximal rim size: 20 Zoll

So, 5.95 each wheel. Not bad

So, it would have cost me 78.45 for the same tyre from mytyre....

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
What about getting them fitted?
I have frequently had tyres fitted that I supply myself. Never been a problem. Most tyre places round here charge about £5 a wheel, including balancing. In fact on one occasion, I swapped a spare set of second hand mud pluggers, off my Land Rover, for a brand new set of road tyres for my car (including fitting and balancing). No cash, just a straight swap.

I was in Costco today and asked out of curiosity, they said they had been superceded by these.

Mich primaca £78-71

Mich exalto £79-88

This included fitting/balancing/disposal/new valve stem and VAT.

They reckoned they are almost identical to look at.

I was in a while ago and they were also doing 4 for 3 on all tyres.

david and julie said:
I was in a while ago and they were also doing 4 for 3 on all tyres.

What is a Reliant Robin driver going to do with 4 tyres?! :LOL:

80 to 130 quid for a thorn??? Put a metzeler plug in it yourself for a fiver. I would.

Ah, but it's near the sidewall. Too much flexture there to do a repair, surely? :confused:

Tyres are one area I would never skimp on: if your engine blows you grind to a hault but you can generally safely pull over in time (and hope you didn't spill oil all over the road!). But if a tyre blows at high speed then there is a good chance you are going to have to repair a bit more than a couple of dents.

The sidewall itself would have to be damaged before I'd bin an otherwise good tyre. I've used loads of plugs on motorbike tyres and I (and many of my old courier colleagues) swear by them. And you don't even have to take the wheel off! As long as it's holding pressure it isn't going to blow.

I recently purchased a pair of tyres from the my-tyre website. Price was cheaper than local Kwik Fit/National Tyres etc, and I got Firestones (mid-range, I guess) for a cheaper price that the 'chains' could do budget brands that I'd never heard of, and the tyres arrived on my doorstep within a day or two of ordering.

When I e-mailed my-tyres, they provided me with a comprehensive list of local fitters, one of whom was mobile, and who came to the house to fit the tyres one night after I had got home from work. Total price for the tyres and fitting was about £90 (tyres were 195/65x15 so not very exotic) but, based upon local quotes, saved me about £30.

keyplayer said:
80 to 130 quid for a thorn??? Put a metzeler plug in it yourself for a fiver. I would.

Agreed to a point ... used to use 'em years ago ... obviously not sidewall
I think the problem was that people did not get the correct length of plug inside tyre.
My old 'S' used to be 'yumped' in a mate's fields' .... The sump guard broke off before any plugs blew .. those 10" diam rims were sure whizzing around and hammering into the ground.
Where can I buy the plugs nowadays ? Handy thing in the boot ... as is the old 'foam' inflator and repair injector .... One of these days you may get a double puncture !!

P

don't know where you are based but rsr (in south london) usually beat mytyres prices or at least match them and thats fitted. you need to tell them what price they are up against though!!

Sponsored Links
Back