UFH Zone Valve - Wiring in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumber doesn't really do wiring, which has left me without a working UFH system. No electrician available for the next week+ so plumber is now looking at doing it himself. I want to make sure I have an idea of what goes to where/some ideas to discuss with him to make sure he knows what he is doing.

The below image is what I have, and the Live/Neutral I am happy with, but it is the switching side I am struggling with. In short, I am adding a second pump & third zone valve to the system, but would like the UFH, Hot water and Rads to all work independently of each other when required.

I have A1 and A2 from my Heatmeiser thermostat, then a third wire for the pump and 2 wires from the Zone valve. I am handy with electrics, but it is the complexity/logic I am struggling to get my head around with the system. Originally was going to do it myself, but with the plumber on board now I'd just like to know for my own reference,

Is anyone able to advise in fairly laymans terms? Many Thanks :)

Wiring%20Diagram_zpsisvxvcau.png

Sponsored Links
I don't give web advice on mains wiring because its so easy for a DIYer to understand it wrongly and damage something and then blame me.

Or even worst to electrocute themselves and have the wife blame me because I did not repeat all the precautions that an experienced person would take like turning off the power before working on something.

But you have not said very clearly what you are trying to achieve. I would recommend that you expect to time and control the UFH separately so that it can be started well before the rads to take account of the long heat up time. As far as I can what you have will achieve that when correctly set and connected ( which is really quite simple in my view but like all electrical work needs to be done safely ).

Tony

I don't give web advice on mains wiring because its so easy for a DIYer to understand it wrongly and damage something and then blame me.

Or even worst to electrocute themselves and have the wife blame me because I did not repeat all the precautions that an experienced person would take like turning off the power before working on something.

But you have not said very clearly what you are trying to achieve. I would recommend that you expect to time and control the UFH separately so that it can be started well before the rads to take account of the long heat up time.

Tony

In short the plumber is back tonight to do the work as he cant find a sparky for the next 2 weeks as he originally thought. Due to the quality of his work so far I am inclined to let him undertake this.

I just want to make sure I have a rough idea of what he needs to be doing/make some sensible suggestions so that should his enthusiasm exceed his skill I can be ready to ask him to back off.

As for the timer setup, you are correct! :)

Sorry, I was editing when you replied there.

I can never understand why some plumbers will not do wiring.

I could understand that if many sparks were good at wiring heating but most cannot or don't want to.

Most simple controls like yours are very easy to wire up indeed.

But make sure the fuse in the spur supplying the controls is 3A as about a quarter that I see are 13A which will do a lot of damage if something is wired wrongly.

I would even advise anyone with any reservations about their wiring to put a 1A fuse in when first switching controls on.

Best of luck.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The house is only 5 years old, so wiring is all well up to standard! Would welcome any explanations on how it should be wired in place - as I said plumber is taking it on himself to do it, I just want to make sure Im not staring at it blankly as he does it.

You have neutral from the junction box to live on the stat and earth to the live on the stat, perhaps you should wait for the electrician ?

I don't give that advice here in case someone reading it decides to have a go.

Electrical work really does need to be done safely and on controls can do damage if wrong.

If he has any problem he can call me but I expect he will manage alright!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back