Unable to connect to district heating due to lease.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a 3 bedroom leasehold maisonette. Upon purchasing I was aware it had a district heating system running through the service space between the two properties but I was not connected to it (when the system was installed in the mid 90's property owners were given the option of connecting or not, the previous owner of my property sadly declined).

When I enquired about connecting to this system I was told that I could but It would be best to wait as the system was being updated and it would be pointless upgrading now due to these changes. So the weeks passed and I kept getting told the leasehold company was in the process of discussing the upgrade. Finally after around 10 weeks I was told that the system was being upgraded however I would be unable to connect due to there being no provision in my lease for the leaseholders to supply me with any utilities and they would be unable to add it to my service charge.

I brought up the fact that the other privately owned properties had been connected to this system and I was informed that this should not have happened and it had been a big mistake as they hadn't realised this and they were going to have to rectify this error. I then suggested that they add this provision to my lease and I was told "that isn't a route we're willing to take".

Now I'm looking at a cost of around £4,000 to install an electric system. I was quoted £11,000 to have a gas pipe installed (there is a line at the bottom of my street 50 meters away) and I was unwilling to pay that much, not that it mattered as I was advised the leaseholders would not allow it due to my property being in a block. So I the only option I'm left with is an electric system which is expensive to install and to run whilst the pipes for the district heating system are in my property and literally ready to connect to. With all the pressure to reduce c02 emissions etc I thought they would have pressured me to connect to the system.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Who`s the freeholder - could it be a Local Authority . Sounds like a job for a Solicitor

Not heard of them _ down South :confused: but they sound like a government quango . I`ll have a Google ;)

This isn't a question about plumbing.

It's a legal question.

I never ask a solicitor how to mend my drains.

Sounds like a Housing Association.

Thats good because they have lots of complaints channels!

You would probably win if you took them to court over it.

But did you or your sol not consider all this before you bought the flat?

Tony

I bought the property at auction and when enquiring we were advised it would be fine to connect, the problems only arose on due to their updating of the system and inspecting the current legalities. It's just a total nightmare as the main pipe to connect to the system actually runs through my property but there is nothing I can do about it. And I'm being forced to use an electric system.

I bought the property at auction and when enquiring we were advised it would be fine to connect, the problems only arose on due to their updating of the system and inspecting the current legalities. It's just a total nightmare as the main pipe to connect to the system actually runs through my property but there is nothing I can do about it. And I'm being forced to use an electric system.

So who advised you wrongly?

You can sue them!

Thats one of the risks you encounter trying to buy property cheaply!

Probably why the sellers wanted to get rid of it !

Its quite simple, there is no practical reason why you cannot be connected, their statements are all rubbish! Its just they sont want any more people connected to the system because they are all problems because they get the heating even if they dont pay for it.

Agile...It was bought at an auction, dosnt mean it was cheap, although the chances are it was.

So who advised you wrongly?

You can sue them!

Maybe

Thats one of the risks you encounter trying to buy property cheaply!

Not everyone can afford to buy a property at market value (assuming it actually went for less at auction which often isn't the case)

Probably why the sellers wanted to get rid of it !

Big assumption there

Its quite simple, there is no practical reason why you cannot be connected, their statements are all rubbish!

They may have sized the new system based on their knowledge of how many properties are officially connected, since they have found out there are more there may not be capacity for everyone already on it never mind new customers.

Its just they sont want any more people connected to the system because they are all problems because they get the heating even if they dont pay for it.

Unless it's a grey area in the Lease, the people who have connected without permission are committing theft of service and possibly criminal damage, once proven the solution is simple.

OP you need to go through ALL your documentation to double check the position regarding this system along with any representations made to you about your ability to connect to it once you bought the lease.

Probably worth seeing a solicitor if you can afford it, or just live with the electric system. Further than initial advice, the legal route could be expensive.

What do you use at the moment, is it unheated?

In a static or falling market, prices at auction are lower than the marketplace.

So the only properties placed in auctions are those which would not attract morgages. If the problems can be overcome or ignored they they may still be good value for a cash purchasor.

With the current fears of lenders many previously acceptable properties like perfectly good flats over shops have become unmorgageable!

Virtually all auction properties are bought by cash purchasors planning to rent them out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back