Unbalanced Water Pressure - Ceramic Bath Filler Mixer Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I have done a fair bit of reading and have tried searching, but the only question I could find that relates to the issue I am having was unanswered: forgive me if this has already been covered.

I have just moved into a house that I have renovated, this was mostly DIY as cost was an issue (Essex is flippin' expensive!).

The property was in a poor state and has had a new bathroom, new flooring, redec and so on. BIG solutions will, therefore not be suitable as they will undo the work already done.

The new bathroom has a shower over bath off a ceramic bath filler mixer. The cold water is mains and the hot water is low pressure vented direct (econmoy 7) cylinder in the airing cupboard, fed from a tank in the loft ~2m head (0.2bar).

The low pressure hot water feeds the shower head with passable, if uninspring, pressure and flow. This is overwhelmed, however, by the cold as soon as you open the cold tap. It is *possible* to introduce some cold into the hot by just nudging the tap open, but it is fiddly to do, and is on a knife edge between hot and cold. When you do finally get it balanced, the temperature fluctuates as the non return valves in the tap 'fight' each other.

Prior to buying the house to renovate, I was renting an identical house at the other end of the street. This had low pressure cold & hot in the bathroom and the bath filler mixer shower arrangement was satisfactory. This lead me into a false sense of security that a shower over bath would work.

My question is: how do I fix this issue? The previous occupiers had a shower over bath without issue, but this was with an old style bath filler whith rubber gasket type taps. I suspect these allow for greater adjustment of pressure then a ceramic cartridge.

As a side note: the basin filler hot flow is also now pretty pathetic as the old 15mm tails have been replaced with the microbore flexis required by a ceramic monoblock mixer.

The ideas I have:

1) Install valve in cold feed under the bath, and turn this down to reduce cold water pressure when running (standing pressure remains the same).
Pros: Cheap, easy to do.
Cons: Bodgy-Bodgy!

2) Install PEV under bath to bring the cold pressure down to match the hot.
Pros: Cheap-ish, DIY-able.
Cons: Does not sort sink, brings pressure and flow down to lowest common denominator, possible slow bath fill

3) Install single impeller 1.5bar pump to hot (in airing cupboard), thus pressurising hot throughout house. Fit 1.5bar pressure limiter to cold supply at stopcock.
Pros: Good hot pressure everywhere (inc Kitchen).
Cons: Pump running when any tap open, not sure on regs, cost?

4) Replace vented hot tank with unvented, providing mains hot water everywhere.
Pros: fixes everything, old copper tank is already ancient and poorly insulated.
Cons: cost & complexity.

5) Replace bath filler with thermostatic veturi bath filler mixer like in a hotel.
Pros: easy to do, solves the main problem.
Cons: item required does not seem to exist...

I appreciate that the above is a lot to wade through, but as you can see I have spent a lot of time in the bath thinking about why the shower doesn't work!

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a sensible idea as it brings the whole house up to date, plumbing wise.

Any idea of budget to do this - I have someone booked to look at this, but just wanted a ballpark so that I can start saving!

Sponsored Links
Great Dunmow Area

I think the relief pipe should not be an issue - the airing cupboard backs on to an outside wall.

I have now had a quote for a unvented cylinder: the total cost was £909!

This was for an RM 'Prostel' 180L tank with 2 immersions connected to the Day/Night supplies. Vented through the wall and down to ground level.

I can't justify the £909, and have added an isolator to the cold, but this reduces the flow too much.

So pump or mains pressure reducer?

As has already been mentioned. Unvented cylinder is best. Other option is piping cold supply to mixer from tank and fitting a twin impellor pump to pump both hot and cold. Unbalanced pressures is always going to be difficult and attempting to balance pressures by reducing the cold or boosting the hot is a bodge that will be very difficult to get to work satisfactorily.

And £909 to supply and fit a 180 litre unvented is a very good price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back