unbelievable.. help!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Not exactly planning but.. I have just been sent a letter from the agent of the house we are buying, telling me that they have decided to change what they are selling us - removing a barn and a small paddock and what appears to be our driveway and selling it to a neighbour instead. We have just been down to the estate agents but have to go back for an appointment later.
Also, we think the neighbour who is now buying these bits is a friend of one of the estate agents and found out through her before it was publicly on sale. Is that allowed? Also how can it be ok to sell our DRIVEWAY? How do we get onto our property now?

We are extremely upset that despite having our offer accepted, they have now altered the boundary and removed a building. what can we do about this?

Help.. :cry:

Sponsored Links
At what point in the process of buying the property are you?

Frankly I would pull out of the sale and move on. **** happens!

I don’t think there is anything you can do. Fate has a habit of intervening.

Assume you aren't very far with the process as your solicitor would advise otherwise, pull out or change your offer.

Sponsored Links
We are extremely upset that despite having our offer accepted, they have now altered the boundary and removed a building.
So they expect you to pay the same and get significantly less? What planet are they on?

what can we do about this?
Tell them to shove it up their ****.

Actually - if you've not got to the stage of anything binding, any legal processes underway etc, I'd suggest saying nothing.

Absolutely nothing. Ignore all communications from them, just carry on as if you had never met them, never seen the property, never made an offer, unless you can think of risk-free ways to string them along and let them think for as long as possible that you are still going ahead before you finally walk away - basically cause them as much inconvenience as possible. With a bit of luck the other sale will carry on and they'll be left with something much harder to sell than before.

Spamchops...re access via the drive, they would give you a right of way I would expect, I suppose they need the drive to access the barn, but as said, you made an offer based on what you saw & at the price you liked. Now its changed, so would you even consider having looked at it if it were up for sale as it now is.

If you have a brochure or Right Move showing or detailing the house, barn, paddock and driveway on which you made the offer, and the agents wrote to you accepting your offer, then, we would suggest that you spend a few bob on legal advice.
If agents informed you that you have been gazumped on the whole of the property as advertised, then that is a different ball game.
Regards oldun

We spoke to our solicitor. She wasn't that helpful and said that they can basically do as they please until contracts are exchanged. Looks like we are back at square one, gutted. :cry:

Is that allowed? Also how can it be ok to sell our DRIVEWAY? How do we get onto our property now?
I'm with ban-all-shed on this, either keep quite or pull out then they might think twice if they'll have difficulty selling it, you ever know they may change their mind

Best to just walk away I'm afraid.
Mate of mine always used to say, used car dealers were descended from horse thieves and Estate Agents were their illegitimate offspring :D :D

PS I would be tempted to contact the vendor and tell them why they have lost your sale, bet the estate agent may have spun them a yarn about why you have backed out ;)

We spoke to our solicitor. She wasn't that helpful and said that they can basically do as they please until contracts are exchanged.
That was helpful - she is right.

What do you think would have been helpful - her telling you that you could do something and start racking up fees?

Instruct her that you are not proceeding with the purchase at the moment, and that until further notice she is not to do any more chargeable work, then start communicating with the vendor yourself, in writing, and be very slow to send each letter out. The longer you can string them along the more likely it is that the other sale will happen and leave them with a property harder to sell.

And if you have time, and are not so traumatised you'd rather forget this ever happened, please let us know what happens - we're a nosey bunch.

They probably already agreed to sell the driveway and building to the neighbour on the condition that they could still get the house sold. So you come along, make an offer and they pull this move hoping you've fell in love with it and buy it anyway.

I'd do what BAS suggests, put the brakes on your solicitor and start wasting their time, as they have planned this dirty move from long before you laid eyes on the property.

as they have planned this dirty move from long before you laid eyes on the property.

What other dirty moves have they in store that you don't know about yet?

I wouldn't waste any more time over them. Write a curt letter saying your offer is withdrawn.

When we are dissatisfied with the behaviour of vendors or service providers, it is quite usual to write an honest review in order to inform other potential customers.

Is it possible to do the same with regard to estate agents and solicitors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back