under floorboard insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am fitting our new kitchen, and have had to take up most of the floorboards because a previous builder filled it up with rubble from taking out a chimney, so I have been clearing that out!

I was thinking of insulating under the floor whilst I am at it, and wondering whether to use solid boards like celotex, or netting and natural wool insulation? I think the boards will be easier, and more widely available without having to wait & pay for delivery.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've just done mine with netting and rockwool type insulation, worked out far cheaper than using celotex and easier too as you don't have to cut it as accurately as you would with celotex.

Is there a specific reason for using sheeps wool?

I like the idea of sheepswool because its natural, good with moisture and isn't hazardous.

If I go with using boards, should I use regular polystyrene sheets because it is more breathable? I'm thinking of 50mm thickness. The floor will be tiled over in places, then rest will be exposed beneath kitchen units.

Can the insulation go right up to the walls, or should there be another type of barrier or small gap?

Sponsored Links
Unless you are a physicist in a lab measuring tiny differences, polystyrene isn't more breathable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back