Under stairs cupboard, lintel in block work or not!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im looking to put a cupboard under my stairs which I can access from the kitchen, the understairs space is currently connected to the lounge and generally gets used for storing cluttter! Boarding this off and using it as a kitchen cupboard seems far better.

However, the partition between the lounge and the kitchen/dining room is 2/3rds block work and 1/3rd stud walling. The part under the stairs is the block work.

Can I just cut a door way into this block work or is it structural? Does this add support to the outside wall? The only thing we can see is that there is a perling/big joist!? which rests on part of the wall which is on the inner side of the stairs. People have suggested to just get on with it but put a chunky door frame up if I'm concerned, other say just put a lintel in for safe keeping.

Should I be getting this work done by a builder?! Myself and a mate are a dab hand at DIY and could take this job on no problem with a lintle.... I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing a trick.

Thanks for looking, Matt

Sponsored Links
Some photos would help I think.
What is this big "joist" holding up?
A lintel sounds like a good idea, but not sure if you have enough height?

Sponsored Links
The 'big' joist goes round the stairs and supports the joists across the house from this. There is just about enough height but for safe keeping im planning on having a reduced height door, at least high enough to get the ironing board, hoover in etc!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back