underfloor heating cock up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted econo underfloor heating beneath tiles in my bathroom, I ran the power cable to the thermostat, but have realised I haven't laid the sensor cable, which should be connected to the sensor is which is under the tiling. Does anyone have any ideas at all about how to overcome this or get around it so the heating works without taking up the tile, much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I had the under floor sensor fail in my conservatory so bought a new one & just sat it on the tiles behind the skirting. Not ideal but it seems to work OK as long as it’s actually over or very near the heater mat. If you haven’t got skirting, another option would be to hide it somewhere else it won’t be seen.

Hope you’ve done the preparation on the floor before tiling & used the right materials, get it wrong & it won’t last anyway.

I assume you’re aware that any electrical work in a bath/shower room must be undertaken, tested & certified by a Part P electrician!

I assume you’re aware that any electrical work in a bath/shower room must be undertaken, tested & certified by a Part P electrician!

And what happens if he does it himself? I've never seen a Part P certificate yet.

if you havent grouted yet can you get it in a joint?

some of the newer ones only have a 3mm sensor cable

Sponsored Links
And what happens if he does it himself?
At best nothing at all & it’ll all work perfectly if he knows what he’s doing. At worst, burn the house down or even kill someone if he doesn’t!

I've never seen a Part P certificate yet.
That’ll be because it’s a minor electrical installation works certificate which he won’t have if/when asked to produce one.

You connect by a fused plug. As far as I know Part P is for permanent hard-wiring.

You connect by a fused plug. As far as I know Part P is for permanent hard-wiring.
Depends on the output I suppose but surely it should at least be connected via a fused spur? My conservatory system is wired on a dedicated circuit from the C/U but it is 4Kw!

If it's a low power foot/tile warmer I don't see why a plug wouldn't do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back