Underfloor heating problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had new wet under floor heating in kitchen fitted. Until then my hot water was an ok temperature. After having underfloor fitted noticed that my tap hot water has gone scolding hot. I have a hot water cylinder fitted which controls my heating, hot water and underfloor.

Why is my hot water from my tap now scolding since I had my underfloor fitted.!!

Sponsored Links
I would guess because the boiler is working for long periods heating the underfloor (awful stuff) the 2 port valve to your hot water tank is allowing it to heat the cylinder at the same time hence your hot water is getting very hot.
Turn the temperature of the boiler down will cure the problem in the interim.
If you have a 3 port valve then this is open to the hot water tank all the time so configuration is wrong.

I would guess because the boiler is working for long periods heating the underfloor (awful stuff) .

Why do you say that I have wet ufh, I think is brilliant, once you get the temp/timing on the programmer sorted.

Some people like underfloor. Some people dont.

Just the people I come in to contact with all have problems with it.

The main problem I have with it is the speed of response of the system.

It can takes hours to heat a room from cold where radiators will usually have it done much quicker. Similarly if you decide you are hot
it takes ages to cool down.

Sponsored Links
That's the reason I said you have to get used to the settings.
Yes it takes an hour to warm, it also over runs the temp setting, with a decent programmer, you can get very good control.
It took me two winters to get it right, but it also took two winders to get the main programmer correct for the rest of the house.

Properly set and controlled UFH can be very good and comfortable.

But it does really need very intelligent controls which can vary the flow temperature to the UFH.

The worst problems, and in virtually all cases, is where rads and UFH have been mixed on the same zone.

In most cases that almost does not work! Although it can be made to be half successful if the rads are just used for the initial warm up and the TRVs are set to a low setting ( like 2 on a TRV4 )

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back