Underfloor heating & radiator combination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. New here so please humor me :LOL:
I am renovating an old house and am on the last phase of the inside. I have opened up the dining room, the kitchen and the conservatory/extension into a single living space. The kithcen floor needed to come up as it was quarry tile on earth and since i am laying a new floor i am considering underfloor heating.
Currently we have a combi boiler(not a condensing type) which runs 7 radiators.
Is it practical to combine one UFH room approx 18sqm with 6 radiators and if so what is the plumbing configuration. also how do you configure the thermostats?
I have tried researching this on t'internet but trying to sort through it all is a nightmare.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Is it practical to combine one UFH room approx 18sqm with 6 radiators and if so what is the plumbing configuration. also how do you configure the thermostats?
I have tried researching this on t'internet but trying to sort through it all is a nightmare.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Of course it can be done.will depend on how much you want to spend. you will need to install a manifold to existing flow from boiler. Never done one zone before, but polypipe are very helpful. Is it practical? Up to you. ;)

just realised it won`t be one zone :LOL:

Thanks for your reply. I'm with you on the manifold - trouble is would it be a single or multi port device, am i going to need another pump or divertor etc etc.
If you think Polypipe might help it may be worth speaking to them.

Thanks for your reply. I'm with you on the manifold - trouble is would it be a single or multi port device, am i going to need another pump or divertor etc etc.
If you think Polypipe might help it may be worth speaking to them.

There will be another pump on the manifold, (usually)wether or not your boiler can cope is another matter.It runs much the same as your central heating but has an individual room thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Follow legion's advice at your peril, he is a troll pretending to be an installer.

Underfloor heatings systems are best bought as a pack that contains all the bits you need. As underfloor heating has a lag of several hours, it needs a separate timer to have it come on and off 1-3 before the "normal" heating. This also means your boiler will be on longer, though not as high.

It will also require a purpose made floor, all and all far from cheap in materials or labour.

Underfloor heatings systems are best bought as a pack that contains all the bits you need. As underfloor heating has a lag of several hours, it needs a separate timer to have it come on and off 1-3 before the "normal" heating. This also means your boiler will be on longer, though not as high.

It will also require a purpose made floor, all and all far from cheap in materials or labour.

Thanks for your reply.
I have the floor dug up and will be laying it for UFH with a slate tile finish, fortunatly it's all my labour - god it hurts :LOL:
The control circuit is one of my areas showing lack of understanig at the moment - how do i configure the single thermostatic i/p to the boiler to be controlled by 2 ccts. As a follow on from that how do you ensure that the hot water is only supplying the UFH before the radiator cct demands HW :confused:

In a nutshell, ufh circuit is a separate zone with its own timer, stat and split off with a zone valve. This also brings the need for an automatic bypass valve.
I don't know your level of knowledge about (ufh)floors, but unless you are absolutely sure exactly how to do it, read up on it first.
I would not recommend the plumbing side of ufh as a diy project to anyone but those who have extensive experience.

Give JG speedfit a call, tell them what ya up to they should be able to point you in the right direction. Very helpful peoples.

In a nutshell, ufh circuit is a separate zone with its own timer, stat and split off with a zone valve.

Done that, said that, why the character assassination? it`s embarassing. :rolleyes: Grow up FFS :rolleyes:

OP, don't try to obtain a cheap UFH system that works, there is no such thing. Your looking at about £25 per sq mtr. If thats not scared you off give Nu-Heat a ring and they'll design a fully working functional system to meet your needs. Installation is the risky bit, after you PAY for the design schematics, are you confident to DIY, only you can answer that question. If you balls it up it's money straight down the pan. Any mistake on UFH is costly to rectify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back