Underfloor Heating Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening.

I am after some advice.

I have a small bathroom and would like to lay laminate over underfloor heating. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If the underfloor heating is going to be your PRIMARY source of heat then you should go for a wet solution. This will heat the room and your tooties. More expensive to install as you have plumbing and electrical stuff to do, but more efficient and cheaper to run.

The other option is an electric system. These (IMO) are fine to take the chill of your tiles but won't get the room cozy. IMO you'd be better off with a pair of slippers.
Electric floor heating is cheaper to install (but you'd need a registered electrcian) but cost more to run.

Google "Underfloor Heating wet vs electric" for discussions on the different types, and makes.

Sponsored Links
Before you install any form of UFH, do the following:
  1. Work out how much heat you need to be able to put into the room.
  2. Given the area of your floor and the characteristics of the flooring material find out how hot the surface will have to be to deliver the heat you need.
  3. Decide if that will be a comfortable temperature or not when walking on it in bare feet.

I did it once in my mothers wet room to ensure tiles were dry and she did not slip as she is an amputee.

It was a failure. An electric system was used it was a special cable with earth built in. It did not require an earth mat.

1) It took too long to dry tiles my mother is not going to wait half an hour for them to dry before moving.
2) It did not heat the room. Lucky a towel rail also fitted.
3) The floor thermostat failed and got stuck in the pocket so after 6 months of use had to just use room temp not floor temp.
4) On the third thermostat now.

Any warmer you could not walk on it and full insulation under the floor. It is now never used.

However in a guest house they had a hot water type which seemed to work well. Tiles need it seems to be shiny flat type not the sculptured that we used. Again towel rail also used the floor not enough on it's own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back