Underfloor or Rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a few quick questions. I am planning an extension to my property and am considering the best heating option for the space. It is approx 3.7m x 5.6m and it is going to be a room above an existing garage that is adjoining my property. The room will have 3 no. external walls (old Victorian property so double brick with no cavity) but will have all the necessary wall, floor and ceiling insulation to bring it up to modern BC standards. There will be a couple of skylights and two large cake slice shaped glazed windows on either end of the room that will be double glazed.

I have a large gas combi boiler. I have my heart set on installing an antique English oak parquet floor that has come out of an old school.

I am also planning to install a woodburning stove.

The question is should I consider underfloor heating or go for rads. Naturally aesthetically the underfloor would be much nice but I am concerned about the following:

1. Will it cost more to run?
2. Will it work with a combi?
3. What type of underfloor heating to go for?
4. The cost - will it be much more expensive to install?
5. Is it silly to consider underfloor heating as it is potentially less controllable when I am planning to install a stove.
6. Are there likely to be implications around the parquet floor and underfloor heating - I would be so frustrated if there were shrinkage issues etc...

The boiler is currently in the garage just underneath so it is all very handy etc.

I would appreciate any views people have on this matter. If there are any other options or thoughts I would be happy to hear them.

Cheers,

Simon

Sponsored Links
Stick with a rad.
ufh not worth the hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back